39. Suprising mix of nice and mean

(AYYY a new chapter! I never thought I'd get it out. Sorry it took so long guys 🥺😅)

I had to wonder for a while on just how I got into this mess.

In all my years I never wouldve guessed that I'd be standing behind a counter, taking orders from all sorts of strange alien species. But then again, it's not like meeting Zim was expected either. Nor was dating him.

"Yeah I'll take some live plooka with a large sack of vort dogs" spoke the customer in front of me.

"Of course, any drink with that?" I continued, pushing the images of food on screen as he put a hand to his mouth in thought.

I added a note to the vort dogs, making sure to write them down as "large". Unfortunatley that meant Zim had to serve food in the kitchen, being the only other one here able to read English. That was the main reason why I never worked with Gashloog, the other employee, as we took our breaks between eachothers shifts.

How I ended up working the counter of this place was still rather confusing, even to me.

Earlier

"Oh no" I muttered, staring up at the large Irken and watching my plan fall apart right before my very eyes. I watched it come loose at the seams before Sizz-lorr had fully ripped it apart in realisation.

"Your that human I knocked over on Earth!" He recalled, pointing a finger at me before looking back at Zim with a growl.

My partner gulped uneasily at the sight of his kidnappers glare, straightening his posture and awkwardly smiling.

"So, you did contact someone for help, huh?" Snapped the larger Irken, leaning towards the source of his anger mercilessly.

I had to rescue Zim from this situation.

"How dare you!" I yelled with a pointer finger "I came of my own accord, thank you very much! It wasnt Zims order, it was my own! I dont take orders from him!"

I huffed, hoping that Sizz-lorr would believe me. It wasnt a complete lie. Zim asked me to call the tallest but he never asked me to come and rescue him.

The expression of suprise on Sizz-lorrs face was pretty scary. It was nothing in comparison to the look he gave Zim before but it did make me shrink back slightly.

But I didnt expect Sizz-lorr to start laughing.

It wasnt mean or vengeful like I had seen him react with Zim on the montage video. It was more happy and genuine.

"I'll admit it, human. You've got guts!" He spoke, laughter finally easing up.

"Huh?"

"Its been a while since someone held their ground against me. It's actually rather refreshing." He explained, smiling at me proudly and putting his hands on his hips.

I found myself really suprised, wide eyed and confused when watching the larger irken smile at me like my words were impressive.

"I stand up to you too-" yelled Zim before being cut off.

"No one asked for your stupid input, Zim!" Yelled Sizz-lorr, leaning towards Zims face and knocking him off his feet in suprise.

I never knew someone could be so nice and mean at the same time. I could understand his anger towards Zim, as he had run away from his responsibilities and was usually pretty destructive. But his kindness toward me was questionable.

My species is the cause of Zim being on Earth at all. So to say I was suprised at Sizz-lorrs attitude towards me was an understatement.

"So you came to rescue Zim, hm?" He mused, turning back to face me once Zim had been sent back to work.