3. Alien device and friendship advice (edited)

It was Wednesday, I opened the door of my house to see Zim shoving Keef out of his, still green, house. I really should get a better look at it sometime.

Zim shut the door behind him as his little green dog walked over and ate some bacon that keef was thrown out with. The two appeared to be talking. I didnt even question it.

Maybe I should've sat with Zim at lunch. Or maybe asked him if he wanted to hang out, at least. But it didnt seem that Zim was eager to make friends. Jessica's comment must've got to him. That's why he came over to our table and introduced his "best friend" Keef.

It made sense. Jessica said it was inhuman to have no friends so, in order to fit in, Zim got a friend.

Keef and the little dog had left. whether it was to school or not, I didnt know. But I waited for them to leave before heading onto zims lawn and knocking on his door.

"Go away, Keef!" Zim yelled from behind the door.

"Uh actually, it's me!"

"Who?"

He wouldnt know who I am.

"Uh one of your classmates"

Reluctantly, Zim opened the door. He looked rather annoyed and exhausted but still held a hard glare and proud stance as he folded his arms over one another and raised an eyebrow in question.

"Is everything ok? I saw Keef here earlier"

Zims posture slumped slightly as he let out a sound of anger and frustration. He seemed to be holding in a lot of it over this whole situation.

"Stupid Humans and their filthy friendship!!" He spat out, as if it was poison, not even bothering to cover up his alien origin.

I gave him a small awkward smile. "Yeah, Keefs pretty creepy. Your doing a really good job of tolerating him though. I'd really struggle with a friend like that" I said, trying to lift his spirits.

He looked over in confusion, "huh? So not all friendship is like that?"

I shook my head, "everyone's different so that can be a cause for all sorts of friendships too."

Zim raised a nonexistent eyebrow once again before putting a hand over his chin in a thinking motion.

His expression was fixed with fascination and interest but the gaze he held was directed at the floor in conflict.

I paused for a second before telling zim we had to leave for school. He only said he wasnt going today. I couldnt really blame him.

So I went to school, alone.

It was only a matter of time before lunch had finally rolled around. I was sitting at, what jessica called, the "rejects" table. They seemed to be the only kids in the entire school with actual genuinity. It was refreshing.

I got along really well with Melvin and Dirge. Dirge and I were just having a friendly debate over which was the best of the nightlights in Httyd when Keef came in and handed each student a flyer.

I looked over at the scene in confusion.

"Party at zims house, everyone's invited!"

Did Zim ok this? It definitely doesn't sound like something Zim would agree to, so I assume he doesn't know.

He was rather protective of his house and didnt seem to let anybody in. It's most likely he would feel exposed if anyone decided to show up. Zim definitely wouldnt want to take any chance of being exposed.

"Whose Zim?" Jessica asked.

"Hes the green kid, you know him!"

"Oh you mean the freak, with that one friend that makes him even freakier?" She laughed, "I dont think so!"

Keef stood in the middle of the room getting crumpled fliers thrown at him. I felt a little bad, sure. But Keef had no respect for Zims boundaries. He clearly didnt notice it. He looks over at our table and smiles, walking over. Oh no.

The school bell rang, signalling the end of the school day. Keef and some kids were running in the direction of Zims house. Keef excitedly yelling "party!" On the way.

I walked behind them as they ran. Maybe I should check in on them and see what happens?

When I eventually arrived at my street, I noticed the group of kids waiting whilst keef had disappeared, possibly to go and see Zim.

"I've never been to a party before" said Gretchen, who seemed quite giddy. She was a nice girl.

"Do they hurt?" Asked Melvin in response. His voice was small and scared.

"Depends, is it a paintball party?" i asked with a joking smile, coming up behind them.

They all turned to see me, giving me a smile. It seemed I was the only "popular" student they could fully relax around.

I looked over at zims house in curiosity. How will zim handle this?...

Me and the others waited on zims yard for some kind of response or update.

"Didnt think you were coming to this party" said Gretchen, looking over at me.

"I'm not, I'm just concerned that Zim wont like this idea"

The group looked at me in confusion but shrugged.

Keef came running out, following a squirrel. "This is zim!" He said, gesturing at the squirrel before chasing it again. Oh no, what did Zim do to him?

The others had eventually left, leaving me standing on Zims front yard. I walked to the door, knocking. My knuckle rested against the door for a moment but nobody answered. I tried again, getting a response this time.

I heard a groan from the other side of the door before it opened.

"There is no party!" He yelled, gesturing for me to leave. Waving his hand in an "off, off" motion. I shrugged a little.

"I know"

"Eh?"

"Just wanted to know what happened back there." I said, leaning against the frame of his door. "Did you mess with Keefs brain?"

"No!" He said before pausing. "I messed with his eyes"

"At least your honest" I admitted, clearly shocked, disturbed and dumbfounded by what I was just told.

Zim seemed to laugh, I dont know what about. Whether or not he was laughing at my comment, the situation or even my facial expression it was kind of nice seeing him laughing. If only for a brief moment.

I smiled at him and was shocked to see him actually smile back. I think I'm making progress with him.

"You know, I still dont know your name, human worm baby"

I looked over suprised. He actually wanted to know my name? I smiled again.

"My name is Y/n"

Zim looked over seeming to contemplate what I said. He stopped and looked at me, giving a reluctant smirk.

"Well Y/n human, I certainly hope your usefulness will be as good as your name."

....did....did he just compliment my name?

"Uh...I...thank you" i responded with a slight tone of uncertainty.

Zim looked rather proud of himself and had a large grin plastering his face.

It would seem that, whether zim knows it or not.....

we've both just made a new friend.