27. Rivals unite

(I'm bacckkkkkk!!!!!)

I jogged towards Zim, catching up to see the monster that grabbed him was no longer in sight. 

The morning was painfully hectic, as a ham demon attacked the two of us whilst on our way to stop whatever Taks horrible plans were. So not much had changed regarding the random adventures but something else was amiss.

Things were strange and, though the atmosphere felt normal, it was almost like a layer of discomfort was blanketed over me and Zim. 

Why did it feel more awkward than yesterday, the day I literally confessed?

Zim appeared to be embarrassed over what happened at the base, when Tak completely humiliated him and destroyed his base.

I was growing more insecure by the moment whilst Zims eyes seemed dead set on my form. His hand rested against his chin in a thoughtful manner as he stared, making me feel like a target. I decided to break his focus myself.

"what happened to the Ham demon?" I questioned, searching for the bizarre creature as I did.

Zim stumbled, almost as if he'd be caught stealing from the Tallests snack pile, and quickly attempted to get back on track by explaining that he defeated it rather quickly. I was impressed, until he began to milk it a bit too much.

"...and then it uh...started crying and uh...." he would say, hesitating every time he exaggerated or lied about what really happened.

He was stopped dead in his tracks every time Gir would butt in with a "no it didn't" or a "that's a lie", annoying and embarrassing the irken to no end.

He waved it all of as fast as he could, almost challenging Gir to argue back.

"I've made no progress in figuring out what Tak's plan is. The base is still repairing itself, and the only other person with the facilities to.." He stopped himself from uttering another word, making the implications very clear that he may have to ask his worst enemy for assistance.

My face went blank, feeling the colour drain from it in realisation that working with Dib may be our only option. My thoughts where interrupted by Zims growl and sudden yell.

"No! I wont even consider it!" He screeched, squeezing his eyes into a glare.

Zims statement was hard to believe when he started pacing, muttering to himself about why he shouldnt go and ask for help from Dib. He was correct in a lot of his reasons, but Tak was not an enemy to be taken lightly and we needed all the help we could get.

"He's considerin' it!" Spoke Gir, trying to remain discreet as he whispered loudly in my direction.

Zim glared at the tiny robot before looking back to me. He was silently asking for my opinion on what to do, pleading for an easier way out or a better plan. But I had nothing helpful to add.

So, before we knew it, we were sitting in Dib and Gazs' house, having an interesting conversation with their father.

Surprisingly, he was nothing like his son. He had no passion for the supernatural and remained oblivious to the whole ordeal. Whether he was doing it on purpose had yet to be confirmed.

"But that's just the way it worked out" he finished, ending his conversation with Zim.

"Yeah, I know what you mean" Zim replied, appearing to be very respectful.

Perhaps he was growing fond of Dibs Dad? Had a growing respect for him?

It seemed this way and was interesting to see. As far as I was concerned, the only Earthling, besides me, that he ever showed respect was Ms Bitters.