44. The Verdict

Things weren't looking good.

Memories of destruction and chaos continuously flooded the room with emotions of shock, horror and disgust among the many Irkens in the room.

I, myself, was feeling almost hopeless and started to wonder if computers words were right. I just couldn't see how Zim would get out of this one.

He had already come forward to me as defective in private before. Now he had publicly announced it and there was basically nothing left that could change anyone's mind. As the tallest said, this was just the remainder of a formality and nothing more.

Just an excuse to get rid of Zim, once and for all.

I can't stand for that!

They had shown several horrific memories that belonged to the irken since lunch came to an end. These memories included the death of spork, a montage of explosions and, of course, the failure of operation impending doom one.

But they weren't digging far enough. They weren't digging to the present. They were stuck in the past were Zim didn't know the difference between helping and destroying. They weren't looking at his improvement, nor what he had learnt.

It was all biased.

"We've seen enough, Zim" started tallest Red, ending the stream of memories on screen. "You've been nothing but a curse to the empire!"

"I rebuke that statement!" I exclaimed immediately, pointing towards the irken leader in a challenging motion.

To this, there were gasps all around the room and many eyes set on me. Red continued to glare, seemingly accepting the challenge and preparing to hear my rebuttal.

The large machines controlling the trial decided to officially allow this debate to take place, transporting me from my place beside Zim to a pedestal across from tallest Red.

I didn't expect things to turn so serious in so little time. But it appears I was the one defending Zim.

And I would carry that duty with all my heart and might.

"I suppose you'd like to continue this debate officially than? Human?" Spoke the tall irken with a smirk and malicious narrowed eyes.

I returned the glare, harshly.

"Do you even need to ask?"

The tension thickened greatly after that, Irkens everywhere frozen and preparing for the upcoming battle. And it wasn't much easier for me, either.

This was a very high stakes debate, something I had little experience with, and if I failed then I could essentially end up putting Zim in absolute peril.

I swallowed thickly, questioning if this was a smart move to make. I would, no doubt, save Zim in a heart beat but...was I capable?

There was only one way to know, truly.

"Why don't you explain your rebuttal then, Human? I'm sure we're all curious about what you have to say."

Red gestured forward with his hand and awaited my response almost as it he was sure I'd have no answer.

I was ready to completely disprove these beliefes.

"You can have your own opinions of Zim, but can you really say that you bothered to try and understand anything about him?" I questioned, catching attention from all sorts of audience members, including Red himself.

I continued with no need for prompt.

"In the time I've come to know Zim, he's become less destructive, more considerate and he's discovered things he never knew about himself!"