4. everything takes time, trials and errors (edited)

Shortish chapter

It's been a couple of days since the whole Keef incident. Things became slightly less chaotic, surprisingly.

I sat in class, waiting for the bell to screech and school day to come to an end. Many thoughts had been crossing my mind since zim first got here. I had so many questions that I wanted to ask about.  Space, his species, his planet and even just him, it was all so interesting to me.

My eyes kept flickering from the front of the class, to the clock on the wall and to the Alien in my class. I was hoping that zim would give me the satisfaction of answering some questions. If I'm lucky, maybe I could convince him to take me out into the great beyond.

The limitless excitement swarming through my entire being had me becoming more and more desperate for the day to end. Though I was nervous to ask zim about it.

There was a pretty big reason as to why so much anxiety washed over. I was already making good progress with him and becoming his friend. I didnt want to ruin that by making him feel paranoid or suspicious. He was already on edge, with Dib threatening to expose him, so it wouldn't be all that good if he were to worry over someone that he didnt need to worry over.

I sighed, sinking back into my chair. I was now beginning to think that asking my questions wasnt such a good idea. At least, not yet.

I looked at Zim once again, as if it would decipher what kind of response he would give me to my questions. Should I just take a chance?

After much internal struggling I had come to a decision.

RIIIING!

Everyone began to stand up and leave. I could feel my classmates tension die down and replaced with relief, which partially helped with the conflicting emotions I was feeling.

I walked out, trying to get to Zim before I lost him in the crowd of students.

"Zim!" I called out, hoping he would hear me.

He turned in my direction, looking slightly bewildered.

I pointed over to an empty part of the hallway as I began to walk over there, keeping my eyes locked on his. He followed suit, also walking to where I was now stood.

I half expected for him to call me
"y/n-human" but was suprised to hear him use my name normally.

"What did you call the ALMIGHTY ZIM! here for Y/n?" He asked, tilting his head slightly and holding a quizzical expression.

I smiled, "I was...uh just wondering if you would want to walk home together?"

Zims expression seemed to soften slightly but the confusion was still there. I had hoped that slowly easing into the topic of Aliens and space would make it easier for Zim to answer my questions without being worried or skeptical. I waited patiently as zim seemed conflicted by the request.

"Its okay if you dont wan-"

"Very well, Y/n! I shall grace you with my presence on the way home. BE HONORED!!!" He yelled, interrupting me. I was so relieved.

"Thanks so much zim, I am honoured" I smiled, feeling pretty Giddy. Maybe making a friend wouldnt be so bad. It's been a while anyway...

And so we walked home together but...It wasnt at all how i planned.

It was apparent that Zim didnt really make small talk. It took many attempts to try and get him to form a long sentence. I attempted with asking him simple questions like was he settling into school? How was his day? And other simple ice breakers. It was really hard to get him invested in a conversation.

Before I could try any other ideas to get Zim talking, we had already arrived on our street. Zim was gone before i could even get to know him. Before he walked through his door I made a quick simple request.

"Do you want to walk to school with me, tomorrow?"

Zim gave me a side glance. He seemed frustrated, making me feel insecure. Was he already sick of me? I rubbed my arm awkwardly, looking over. I could feel anxiety spilling out of me like a disgusting layer of sweat.

Much to my relief, Zim gave a hesitant, short nod before entering the green building and closing the door. I was sure that I would fall over from how much pressure i felt my nerves produce.

I wobbled to my home, feeling a little exhausted and disoriented. What would it take for Zim to open up a little? What can I do?

I tried not to think about it too much and mostly just distracted myself with homework we were never taught to solve and mindless shows with no likeable characters.

That's basically a summary of my night and I was still quite disappointed that I got nowhere with zim but...

The next morning would change mine and Zims relationship forever