𝐁𝐚𝐭𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐑𝐞𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐬 (𝐁𝐫𝐮𝐜𝐞 𝐏𝐎𝐕)

"You shouldn't be here, Barbara", I stated seeing her in my Batcave. I heard she is in town. Barbara left town and went to a college to study a few years ago. I didn't expect to see her so early. Alfred was there, keeping her company.

"Aren't we partners or what?", Barbara asked, reminding me. Barbara, the chief commissioner's daughter, was my first sidekick - Batgirl. I walked passed her and went back to change.

"I know what's bothering you. You're afraid she'll see me here. Perhaps you should tell her the truth. Aren't you two dating?", Barbara asked, I ignored her words. Rose didn't tell her. How could she? She doesn't know Barbara works for me.

I did. I haven't seen her or heard from her since then. Maybe I lost her, forever. 'Give her time', Alfred's words echoing in my head. She just needs some time to think can she accept me as I am?

"Miss Barbara, you know Master Bruce doesn't speak about his private life", Alfred reminded her as I got inside my new improved suit. I like what Lucius did with the batsuit, now I can finally turn my head. I feel lighter.

"I thought this time is different", Barbara reminded me Rose is her cousin, the chef commissioner's niece.

It is different. Rose is different.

"I'm afraid some things will never change", Alfred said. "How is your college, miss?", Alfred asked changing the subject. I listened carefully to their conversation.

"Fine, grades are good. I can do better... I'm no Rose tho'", Barbara replied. I sensed jealousy. Rose and Barbara are about the same age with it Rose is younger than Barbara and already has a college degree.

"No one compares you, miss", Alfred said as I joined them. I agreed with Alfred. I sensed also sister rivalry from Barbara side. It should not exist. Rose's life is different and she has inherited responsibilities do to her last name and her family legacy unlike Barbara.

"I think it's good that you came. Master Bruce needs some assistance", Alfred glanced down at my batsuit with approval.

Alfred was right. Since Barbara went to college, Dick moved to Detroit and Jason died, I ran out of assistants.

"Perhaps you should recruit a new Robin", Barbara suggested.

If I found one.

"So, what you say, Bruce? Want some help?", Barbara asked. I knew that whatever I said would have no influence on her.

"Fine", I muttered.

"How she tolerates him like this?", Barbara rolled her eyes and asked Alfred.

"He's not like this in her presence. I might say he's totally different person then", Alfred replied.

"Are you two finished?", I asked, slightly bit annoyed.

"Yes", Barbara crossed her arms.

"I don't need your assistance tonight. I'll call you when I need it", I informed her.

"You know when guy says he will call you, he usually doesn't", I had a hunch in which direction it was going. "I'm coming. Let me change first", Barbara continued then she went back to change. I got in the batmobile and left before she showed up. Gordon called for me this evening.

"Is something troubling you? You don't have to be here if you don't want to", the chief commissioner Gordon asked Rose. I was surprised to see her with Gordon on the rooftop of the police station, waiting for me to show up. It must be something important, otherwise she wouldn't be here and freezing. It's Winter and I think it's about to snow, again.

"I know", she replied with sadness in her voice. She was clearly freezing. She needed to wear something warmer. That thin coat and sneakers she's wearing won't do. I wish I have something warmer by my side to offer her not that I could.

I need a moment alone with her.

"Gordon", I informed him I had come.

"I see you brought company. Good, you'll need it", Gordon looked behind me.

"I didn't", I turned around and saw Barbara dressed up like Batgirl. She gave me a reproachful look. I should have known.

Barbara

"What's problem?", I asked Gordon looking briefly at Rose. She was looking at me too. I couldn't keep my gaze any longer not to cause a suspicion.

"She escaped from the Arkham", Gordon gave me the files. I glanced down at them and passed it to Batgirl.

"Poison Ivy", Batgirl muttered.

"Rose, meet Batgirl. She works for Batman", Gordon explained introducing them.

"Hi", Rose said with a weak smile and turned to Gordon.

"I'll wait you downstairs. It's chilly out here", Rose spoke to Gordon, rubbing her arms. He nodded. She glanced at me and left inside the building.

She wanted to see me.

"I'll catch her and put her back in Arkham, where she belongs", I assured Gordon.

"I didn't expect anything less from you", Gordon said. "This is all. I should be going. I have plans for this evening. I don't want Rose to wait for me any longer", Gordon continued, I nodded.

I turned to Batgirl the moment Gordon left.

"What's the plan?", Batgirl asked.

"We'll wait", I replied. Who knows where is Pamela hiding and what her plans are, if she has one in first place. Eventually, she'll left her hidding and that's when I'll catch her.

"Is that all?", Batgirl asked as I headed down to the batmobile.

"No", I echo her.

I need to get back to the cave as soon as possible and check the footage taken tonight on my batcomputer.

"Someone will have to oversee all the labs in town", I spoke my mind. I was sitting down at my batcomputer connecting to their surveillance systems, successfully. Images quickly appeared on the screen.

"We will work in shifts, Master Bruce", Alfred offered.

I have to stop Poison Ivy, especially if she's planing to produce and use plant toxin and pheromones for mind-controlling as she did the last time. She'll need a place to work and there's no better place than one of the Gotham labs.

"I told you--", I noticed Barbara coming dressed in her regular clothes.

"I know what you told me", Barbara cut me off.

"Why are you angry?", Barbara asked.

"I'm not", I replied, annoyed.

"Wait, you wanted to be left alone with her?", Barbara asked.

"We will work in shifts", I informed. "I'll start first", since I don't usually sleep at night, this won't be a problem. "then Alfred. You can come in the afternoon. Agreed?", I continued.

"Yes. I suppose I better be going now. See you later", Barbara said goodbye.

"Goodbye, miss", Alfred said. Barbara nodded her head and left.

"I'll bring you some coffee, Master Bruce", Alfred said. "I'll also bring you your phone down here. Perhaps Miss Rose send you a message", Alfred encouraged me not to lose hope.

Perhaps.

"Thank you, Alfred."

It was 3 in the morning when she sent me a message that she wants to see me. My lips curled into a smile.