𝐀𝐧 𝐄𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐪𝐮𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐈𝐧 𝐎𝐮𝐫 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐬 (𝐑𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐏𝐎𝐕)

[Rose's P.O.V.]

Gotham Square

I was walking down the street of Gotham late at night not far from my apartment. I was coming back from the office, I worked late, when sudden earthquake hit the town. It didn't last long. It wasn't strong and it passed quickly. I tried to remain calm. It is not the first time that an earthquake struck me and I wasn't afraid of natural disasters. I wondered what caused the earthquake, I had a hunch that this isn't naturally occurred. I wondered if Clark had anything to do with it, unusual things began to happen from the day of his arrival, when he suddenly appeared in front of me in his superhero suit, scaring the hell out of me. I wasn't sure from which direction he came from. Maybe from above, from the sky. I wasn't sure and it didn't matter.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you", Clark looked at me with doe eyes and apologetic face.

I nodded and slowly calmed myself down. I know it wasn't his intention to scare me.

"Do you have anything to do with what happened recently?", I indirectly accused him. It was not very considerate from me. But he didn't seem to mind. I need to apologize to him for accusing him without a proof. I don't know what got into me. I'm not usually like this.

"You mean the earthquake? No. I came to see if anyone needed help", Clark replied with honesty. I believed in his words. Luckily, there was no one on the street except me and him, so no one needed a rescue. I think Clark forgot about one thing: this isn't Metropolis. People here are largely in their beds at this time. Only criminals and people who have some work to do are still awake and out of their homes.

"Do you know that this town already has one superhero to watch over him?", I teased him. Since there was no one, I could talk to him freely. I remembered I haven't seen him for a while.

"I know, but I'm faster", Clark said with a big grin on his face.

"That sounded like you were bragging", I don't like braggarts and it was my fault. I shouldn't asked him that question in first place. I don't know what I was thinking about. Besides, I knew he wasn't one of those people.

"I just stated the fact", Clark said in his defense not taking the smile off his face. It felt like I was amusing him.

"What are you doing outside late at night?", Clark asked me concernedly.

"It is not safe to walk the streets at this time. Something could have happened to you", Clark continued.

"I live here. My apartment is around the corner", I explained. I remembered he doesn't know where I live. I never once invited him to my place. "I stayed late at my office. Thank you for your concern", I thanked him for his care.

"You're welcome", Clark said with a small smile on his face.

Clark glanced behind my shoulder. It made me ask myself.

"Are you waiting for someone?", I asked Clark. But somehow I already knew the answer. I had a hunch.

"Yes. He should be here by now. I'm surprised he's not already here", Clark replied looking strange at me. I knew who he meant. There was only one man in town awake at this time and ready to take to the streets fully dressed. I wondered if he was sleeping in his suit. And then another thought suddenly occurred to me: Does he actually ever sleep?

"Are you friend with Batman?", I asked. I noticed that they knew each other the last time I saw them talking between each other. They seemed close.

"We know each other for long time", Clark replied. "He is not the most pleasant person. But once you meet him, you will realize that there is more to him than his rough exterior", Clark continued suggesting.

"Why are you telling me this?", I asked, his smile faded. There was no reason for him to tell me something like that.

"I thought you already know", Clarks words confused me. He knows something I don't. There was more to his words.

"Already know what?", I asked him determined. He was second guessing. I thought he won't answer on my question.

"He keeps you close to him. You didn't suspect anything?", Clark replied.

"I don't understand", I mumbled in surprise.

"You really don't know who he is?", Clark asked in disbelief.

"No, should I?"

"I assumed you know. I already said to much", Clark replied. "He won't like it", Clark said to himself.

"I won't tell him. Please?", I almost begged.

"He cares about you", Clark replied. "I can't tell you anything more. You have to ask him yourself."

Batman cares about me? Why would he? He doesn't know me. We don't know each other.

It sounded unbelievable. I didn't know what to say on Clark's words. I felt need to leave before Batman comes. I needed to think it through before seeing him again. I was clearly missing something about him. Some memories began to appear in my mind, mostly about past events. I've realized he was always there for me when I needed someone. He saved me from trouble several times and saved my life more than once. He appeared out of nowhere. What surprised me the most was how he knew when to show up. Is he following me? Clark was right. How come I haven't noticed before? I never thought of him that way. Suddenly I felt warmth in my chest. That was a clear sign:

I care about him too.

I can't think of him that way. I might fall in love with him if I do. But I'm already in love with someone else. Can you be in love with two people at the same time?

"I better leave-- I'm sorry for earlier this evening", I spoke to Clark, apologizing to him once more for being rude on the beginning of our conversation. Clark didn't mind much.

"It's nice to see you, Rose", Clark added, the smile returned to his lips.

"You too, Clark", I gave him a smile. I was ready to walk away. I was tired - I had busy day and I really need a long night sleep but first shower, when he spoke to me:

"I probably shouldn't ask you, he won't like this, but I was wondering if you--", Clark was about to finish his sentence when the next earthquake occurred. This one was much stronger than the previous one. It threw me off balance.

(To be continued... )

 )