Chapter Fifty-Six: The Spirit Tree (The Finale Battle: Part Four)

(Emi's Pov)

Levi and I quickly gathered our things as we headed out for The Spirit Tree. The nerves that were once with me dissipated over the two days that I trained intensely with Levi. I finally felt ready for this. But I didn't want to tell Levi that the plan I had originally made was still set in stone. I wasn't an idiot, I knew this had to be difficult on him, but I also knew if I didn't do everything I could to protect humanity and the people that I love, Kami's true nature could potentially destroy it. I hadn't spoken to Kami in what felt like eternity, it was actually quite an awkward feeling. I felt like I was missing a piece of myself. Levi glanced over at me as we rode through the barren, still destroyed city of Trost.

"Emi, keep your mind clear. Focus on the mission in front of you." Levi tried to keep me focused to the best of his ability. I smiled slightly as I kept my eyes on the dirt road ahead of us. The future was uncertain but in this moment I felt like I could do anything. Levi had spent the last few days drilling vast amounts of knowledge, proving that the rumors of his killing capabilities were true. "Understood, Captain." I nodded as he smiled, pulling his dark horse next to mine as we were only a ten minute ride to the base of the one hundred-fifty meter thick Spirit Tree. A deep sigh escaped my lips as I felt Levi's gaze watching my every move. "Please, tell me what's going through your mind." Levi asked as I looked over at him as we stopped the horses for a second.

"A lot, actually Levi." I captured a few strands of my golden blonde hair that had escaped the confines of the long mermaid tail braid that Levi had skillfully done earlier in the morning. "Well, my mind feels empty without Kami's presence. I'm worried about her soul, and if our connection is even still there.." I admitted as Levi sighed and reached over, slowly brushing his thumb against my chin. I blushed deeply as he smiled softly, a rare occasion for Levi. "Emi, you not only need to have faith in yourself, but in Kami's abilities. A pretty wise, yet cocky Cadet I know once said to remember who trained you." He smirked as I rolled my eyes. In an instant I tackled Levi off of his horse, causing him and I to fall onto the ground. He grunted as the sound of a bullet smashing through a tree caused me to instantly be on guard.

"WHAT IN THE FUCK?!" Levi yelled as the horses began to stir in fear. I pulled my poison dipped needles out of my thigh pouch as I quickly turned and threw the sharp senbon in the direction of the assailant. "EMI, ILL HANDEL THIS! YOU GO AND GET TO THE TREE!" Levi yelled as he pushed me behind him. I looked at him for a split second before grabbing his face and kissing him deeply. "I love you so much Levi. Good luck..." I whispered in his ear as he smirked. "You know I love you, go kick some ass princess." Levi stated. I whistled, causing my horse to quickly come to my side. I pulled myself up on to the horse as she began running in the direction of the Spirit Tree. I looked back at Levi who had activated his ODM gear and chased after the masked assailant.

I reached the base of The Spirit Tree in a few minutes, my mind racing with thoughts of Levi and the assailant, as well as the adventure before me. As I was climbing off of my horse, the ground began to violently shake. My eyes widened as I didn't even bother to tie the reigns of my horse to a tree. I ran as fast as I could, a dark aura seeped out of The Spirit Tree, inhaling I noticed it was burning my lungs. Ignoring the pain I touched my palm to the base of the tree and began the chant:

"Kono seika de watashi wa watashinojinsei o chikau, kizuna wa chi yori mo atsuku, jinrui o kaiho shi, hakai o ukeireru!" I yelled as I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. "Kami, Please let me in! We can't do this without each other!" I cried out as the tree shot a bright spirit aura that began to pull me in. I vanished from the real world, and was transported to the Mani, the space in between the spirit world and the human world. I slowly opened my eyes to see the shocked, yet familiar face of Hanoikami; The Goddess of Destruction who I finally realized was my best friend and biggest ally. "Emi? What in the hell are you doing here?" Kami asked me, her voice having a tinge of fear laced through it. I slowly stood up, arriving in the same field of red lilies' that I was at previously when I had spoken to my father.

"Kami? I'm so glad to see you're okay!" I sighed in relief as the sound of a ticking noise began to fill my mind. I placed my hands on my temples. "F-fuck.." Kami mumbled as I followed her gaze to the giant timer floating over my shoulder.