Chapter Forty-Three: Kurohebi

(Emi's POV)

      I instantly gasped for air as I came to. Nothing around me looked familiar as I woke up in a field of bright white lilies. "Ow..my chest.." I groaned as placed my hand over my chest. "Kami?" I spoke, not hearing anything back as I slowly arose. "Levi?" I called out his name, hoping that I would see him. But I finally realized I was alone. The sun was so bright I could barely see anything as I put my hand over the top of my eyes so I could see better.
      A few miles away was a large forest, covered in thick trees. In the center of the forest seemed to be an extremely large and tall tree. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath as I suddenly felt something crawling on my cheek. I opened my eyes to see a sapphire blue butterfly land on my cheek. I blushed and smiled as I carefully got the butterfly to crawl onto my fingertip.
       "Hi, little cutie." I smiled as the butterfly flew off of my fingertip. The butterfly flew a few feet then stopped, like it was telling me to follow it. I nodded slowly as I carefully began to walk through the field covered in lilies.
     "Will you tell me who you are little guy?" I asked softly as I continued to follow the butterfly. The butterfly led me to the beginning of the thick forest as my eyes widened. It was covered in thick vines and plants of various shapes, sizes and colors. I huge black snake with beating red eyes slid down from one of the tree branches, causing me to jump from fear. After a few moments I took a deep breath and met the snakes fearsome gaze.
     My eyes widened as the snake seemed to bow it's head at me. I rubbed my eyes, I had to be seeing things. "This can't be real," I muttered to myself. "This is real, it is a spirit message." An unfamiliar voice spoke, causing me to jump out of my skin. "W-What the-?" I began to say as I realized the huge black snake was the one who spoke.
     "W-who are you?" I asked, trying my best to not get attacked by the snake. The snake looked at me and bowed its head again. "I mean you no harm, Lady Emi. My name is Kurohebi. I am the guardian of this forest. As well as your spirit guide." He explained as my eyes widened a bit.
       "What do you mean?" I asked, confused as to what all of this meant. Kurohebi hissed and looked in the direction of the huge tree. "If you were a normal human I would have attacked you by now. But, normal humans can not come here uninvited." He explained as I looked at him and raised my eyebrow.    
       "Than why am I allowed to be here?" I asked. Kurohebi began to lead me through the forest as he spoke, his voice deep and evil sounding. "You are the holder of our goddess, The Hanoikami." Kurohebi began to explain. "No one here would dare harm you, Lady Emi." The Kurohebi explained as I released a deep sigh of relief. "Well that's at least good. Where are we anyways?" I questioned as I ducked under a huge thick vine.
       "This forest is home to the spirit tree, the same tree that sealed the Hanoikami into your past life one hundred years ago. It is also where the first Titan spawned, before the Hanoikami decided to release it into the human world, to protect the dark world." Kurohebi explained as I felt like my brain was fried.
       "So wait, Kami is from this realm?" I asked, not really knowing much about Kami. Anytime I asked she instantly shot me down. "Yes, our goddess Hanoikami has been apart of this realm for thousands of years. She became apart of the human world one hundred years ago." Kurohebi admitted as my eyes widened.
     "That doesn't sound like the Kami I know. She only does things that she wants to. She's quite selfish." I stated as Kurohebi shook its head. "That is where you are wrong, child. Hanoikami is a very special kind of goddess. She's a very vengeful goddess, yes. But she once fell in love, and was betrayed by the very man she loved." Kurohebi admitted as I continued to walk, stopping right next to a brown tree covered in thick green moss.
      "Kami...loved someone?" I muttered, kind of shocked at the news. Kurohebi stayed quiet for a few moments as we continued through the forest. "Do not tell my goddess that I told you this information but, the man she loved was the same man who sealed her Into your reincarnation, his name was Nolan Smith." Kurohebi explained as I paused for a moment, imagining what Kami must have went through as a tear fell down my cheek. Kurohebi looked back at me as it's eyes widened a little. "Why do you cry, Lady Emi?" Kurohebi asked me as I sniffles, quickly wiping the tear from my cheek.
     "I-I just couldn't imagine being betrayed by someone you love like that.." I mumbled as I sighed deeply, images of Levi flashing in my mind as I looked at Kurohebi. "Why am I here?" I asked as we continued our journey. "I was instructed by the man put in charge of your reincarnation that if something ever happened where you and the Hanoikami's souls were disrupted that your part of the soul would be transported here, to see someone." Kurohebi hissed as my golden eyes widened. "See someone? Who?" I questioned as we finally approached the tree, I stopped dead in my tracks as the face that flashed in my. The man that my frail mother used to tell me stories of as a child.
     He looked at me with his similar golden eyes and silver buzzed cut hair. A soft inviting smile appeared on his face as I stood across from him in shock as he spoke softly, sending chills down my spine. "Hello, my daughter."