Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Aftermath

(Emi's POV)

        The sound of birds chirping slowly pulled me from my slumber. Warm sunlight crawled along my skin as my eyes slowly fluttered open. My eyes were first met with a plain cream ceiling.
      "Emi?" Levi's voice sent chills down my spine.  My golden gaze met his as he sighed in relief. "I'm so glad you're okay. You've been asleep for two days." Levi explained as I slowly sat up, placing my fingertips on my forehead. "W-Where are we? What happened?" I asked. I glanced outside, a large grassy field seemed to extend for miles as everything outside seemed peaceful.
         "Well, we're at an old farm house that my family owns. No one uses it, plus it's hidden so no one really knows about it." Levi stared as he poured me a glass of water, handing it to me carefully as I grabbed it. "So, what happened?" I asked, the events of the past still foggy.
       "A lot, actually." Levi sighed as he leaned back in his chair. His eyes never leaving mine. "The military police are currently looking for us." He stated as he sipped his tea. "But they are so dumb, they won't find us." He added confidently as I rolled my eyes. "LuLu, Nicolas, Yui and a few of my trusted comrades are making it look like we vanished." He explained as I sighed.
     "How much time, until the church makes another move?" I asked as I turned to face him, leaning my back against the wall. Levi brought his hand up, running his fingertips through his silk like hair.
     "I..don't know.." he muttered. The tension between the two of us was so thick, I felt like I couldn't breath. 
       "Levi..Captain Levi..I'm sorry for getting you involved in all of this." I mumbled, as tears began to stream down my face. Images of the city of Trost burning, the screams of the innocent lives lost played in my head like a movie. Levi leaned towards, softly touching my cheek. He brushed a tear away with his thumb as he slightly smiled.
         "Emi, I'm just glad you're okay. I've been involved in this before I met you." He explained as I sniffled. "How much damage..did Kami do?" I questioned as Levi sighed again, pulling his hand away.
        " Trost is demolished. The death toll was well, high. But that wasn't your fault Emi." Levi tried to reassure me as I looked down, realizing that I was wearing a different shirt then what I had on previously. My face turned bright red as I peeked back up at Levi innocently. Levi watched me and smirked as a devilish grin appeared on face.
      "Don't worry. Lulu met us here and she got you dressed. I prefer my woman awake and willing." He explained as he took another sip of his tea. I sighed a breath of relief, the lingering feeling of awkwardness from our last encounter still something we had yet to discuss.