Chapter 88: Mac

It felt like an eternity as I froze. I was just standing there, motionless as he had my life in his hands. Air escaped from my lungs as I tried to breath. No one could save me now. I would be dead any time soon. Tears started welling in my eyes as images of my family and my friends mourning for my death started flashing.

" I'm sorry it has come to this Josephine." I heard him say behind me. His voice was low as if he was truly sorry. But he was the son of the devil. I couldn't believe him one bit. He wasn't sorry at all. 

This was it. 

This was how I end. 

I heard the gun click and I started to close my eyes. 

" Mau!"

We both spun around towards the open kitchen door. It was Kim, waving both her hands at us. She had finally freed herself from the ropes that bound her.

" Fuck yourself asshole!" Kim called out to Mac and flipped him the bird.

Realizing what Kim was doing, I skillfully turned around away from the gun's grasp and had managed to yank it free from his deadly grip. The gun flew and landed on the cold wooden floor with a loud thud.  This reminded me of the scene where Josephine and Winston fought for the knife a century ago. Strangely enough, the scenes from 1909 were replaying in the present. And we were the ones playing it. 

As I tried to reach for the gun, Mac pushed me towards the counter. My head had hit the edge, causing me to black out for a second. As I came to, a blurry scene of Kim and Mac battling it out was playing in front of me. They were both reaching for the gun. I placed my hands on the floor as I tried to support myself back to my feet. I had to help Kim. 

I tried to steady myself and forced my eyes to focus on Mac, who was still struggling against Kim. I took a step back as I got ready to charge at him.

" Kim!" I called out. Kim took a step back as Mac and I both fell to the ground on impact. I tried to pin him down on the floor but he was struggling so much. Kim hurriedly got to the floor beside me and tried to restrain the movement of his hands. Two women against one deranged man. I just hoped we had a chance on this one. 

" You can't win against me!" he growled. His voice was somehow hoarse and demonic. All my hair stood at its end as I realized what Kim and I were doing. We weren't fighting Mac. We were fighting against someone else. 

Or worse, something else. 

" You fucking bet we're gonna' win!" Kim hissed, still trying to pin his hands down. 

All of a sudden, a surge of strength engulfed him as he tried to get up from the floor. I tried and tried to pin him down once again but to no avail. Where the fuck was he getting this strength from? He was now sitting up, his hands managed to escape from Kim's grip. Was I only imagining things or his features somehow changed? He reached for Kim's throat, snapping me from my thoughts and as he had her in his grip, he stood up from the floor; making me land on my bottom. 

" Let her go!" I shouted angrily, still on the floor. 

His right shoulder flinched, as if I taunted him. He eyed me speculatively before raising Kim in the air with one hand, choking her; our eyes still fixed at each other. Kim tried to free herself from his deadly grip but she knew she hadn't got a chance. 

" Let her go!!!" I stood up from the floor, trying to pin him down once more but an unseen force threw me back; sending me flying and landing on the dining table, breaking it in the process. 

My whole back hurt like hell. But there isn't any time to console the pain. Kim was in trouble and I had to save her. An entity did that. An entity sent me flying. Still lying on my back, I heard a rattling sound of glass and beads above me. And then that's when I realized. I quickly rolled to my side just in time for the chandalier to drop where I just was. I placed my hands in front of my face to protect it as shattered glass flew everywhere. I felt some already digging onto my skin. I blinked my eyes a few times to snap myself out of that close call from death. My eyes quickly narrowed at Kim and her assailant. He still had her in his deadly grip. 

I struggled to steady myself once again. My legs were wobbly either because of the adrenaline rush or from fear. I didn't know which of the two yet. But I was hoping it was the former. I needed adrenaline right about now. I scanned the room for any weapons that could deem useful in our little predicament at the moment. Kim was kicking her legs in the air, trying to break free. Her face was turning red, and jugular veins were already visible. I didn't have much time. I reached for the table's broken stand that was within my grasp. It was either now or never. 

This time, my eyes narrowed at Mac.

" Hey! Fuck face!" I called out angrily. He was so focused on trying to kill Kim that he didn't even have time to dodge. I swang the table's broken stand so hard on his head that it broke into half. I watched him fall to the floor. Kim's coughs snapped me from my daze and I hurried beside her. Kim's face and eyes were red and I knew Mac was really going in for the kill. Just seeing her alive and still breathing was enough to keep me going. 

" Kim... Thank God." I muttered with relief. 

Kim, still coughing and gasping for air, weakly raised her hand and pointed at something. She was pointing at the gun, still on the cold wooden flor just a distance away from us. Yes, the gun! How could I forget? We could end things now and we could save ourselves. 

I could end Mac now. 

I nodded back at Kim and stood up. I leaned against the kitchen counter as I traced my fingers on it for support. Limping, I knew shards of glass were still digging onto my skin which made every step difficult. I looked back at Mac's unconscious body. I didn't know why but I wanted to make sure he was still there. 

With the gun just right in front of me, I bent down and reached for it. This was it. This was our trump card. I checked if it was loaded and it was. I didn't know how to handle a gun, but I might unless learn if I wanted to survive. 

" Are you really going to kill me?"

All my hair stood at its end at the sound of his voice. 

It was familiar.

It was familiar and it was distant. 

It was Winston Walter's voice. And he was standing behind me.