Chapter 25: Nothing

The stuffed eagle stared lifelessly at us. The smell of rotting plants lingered in the air but we let it slide. There were feathers hanging on the walls and I could make out animal bones in a mason jar just at the corner of this room, set on a small metal table. The room was dimly lit. We were in the living room but it didn't look like it. 

Mac had his hands together and his elbows on his knees. He was shaking his legs. And from the look on his face, I'd say he's nervous or scared on which I hadn't  yet figured out.

Kim and I were sitting together in this eery living room. Her right hand on my left knee and she was yet again, glancing here and there. It was now nine in the evening and I couldn't believe we went all the way out here just to get some answers. Yhan, Kim and I hadn't had any real sleep since all these hauntings began. It's been three days. 

Five minutes passed but no signs of Yhan coming back from the doorway with what I could make out of, has these dangling beads hanging from it. The living room's carpet was red. Red as blood. 

We heard the dangling beads chime.

" Sorry for the wait." Yhan emerged from the door with a huge smile. " Grandpa's here." She turned back and an old man, probably in his sixties, emerged just behind her. It was my first time seeing Yhan's grandfather. He was wearing a red plaid jacket and brown slacks and staggered across the floor. His white hair dominant in this dimly lit room. He was carrying a walking stick, or a staff, I don't know which and he was swaying the stick side to side. Yhan's grandfather was blind. 

The three of us stood up from our seats, like Yhan's grandfather could see us or anything, but we did it out of respect. He was a veteran, we could sense it from afar. 

" Grandpa, they're right in front of you." Yhan said softly, guiding her grandfather to a black recliner just close to the fireplace. He slowly sat down as he held onto Yhan's arm for support. He motioned us to sit. My question was, how did he know we were standing? We sat down in silence.

" S-Sorry to intrude at a time like this, Sir. If it's too much, we would be on our way." I managed to say, as I slowly stood. This was a poor old man we had clearly disturbed from his sleep or whatever he was doing.

He raised his hand like he was telling me to stop and motioned me to sit back down. He let out a loud groan, like his whole body ached. I, of course, sat back down. 

" What have the three of you gotten yourselves into?" he asked with a cough. His voice was low and hoarse like he smoked a whole box of tobacco. I assumed Yhan told him what he needed to know. 

As there was awkward silence in the room, Yhan answered for us. " We don't know Grandpa, but I'm sure you could help us out." Yhan paused. " They took Alfred." 

I didn't know if Alfred was with us, alive, or with them, dead. Or maybe something else. I'd force myself away from those thoughts just to save my sanity and to focus on the now.

" Please, sir, help us." Kim begged. 

Yhan's grandfather kept silent. And finally said.

" I'm afraid there's nothing I can do."