Chapter 82: Memory: Call and Chase

Everything around me went silent as I stared at my children's lifeless eyes. Alice and Adam. They were everything to me. My whole body went numb as I had a hard time focusing on what was in front of me as tears welled. I couldn't find my voice, and Winston was enjoying my reaction as far as hell goes. I fell to my knees as courage and strength had left me to die in his arms. I had no one now. I looked up at him and I saw something evil in his eyes. He continued to smile at me as though he was amused by all this. They weren't my children after all, I heard him say. But I wasn't so sure because my ears were ringing from shock and disbelief. 

I saw him take one step closer to my weary body. I just continued to look at his facial features blankly; I just had lost hope. 

" I had cut them to pieces, Josephine. I had dismembered them. I called the children from their dinner and they happily went to their... father. They hadn't seen it coming though. They hadn't suffered. I stabbed them so quick, so you need not to worry."

I felt my right eye twitch. I didn't want to hear any more. I wanted to tell him to stop but my voice was nowhere to be found. 

" Neema saw what I was doing and she tried to save the children. To stop the bleeding, y'know. But the blood gushing out from their bodies was too much even for Neema. So she knew well, there was nothing she could do to save them.

That sneaky whore. She snooped inside my room and took the study room's keys. I didn't know she had the guts to go against her master. She freed you... She freed you thinking that the two of you together might have a chance to fight against me." He clicked his tongue and shook his head at the same time, like he was embarassed of our actions towards him. Oh, how I wanted to cut his tongue out. What was the point? Here I was in the middle of nowhere with this madman. No one would come and try to save me. No one. 

This time, I definitely had no one. 

" And now it is time for you to join your children in the afterlife."

I was welcoming death as I felt his hands around my throat. 

The pain.

The excruciating pain. 

He was on top of me as we both fell to the ground. I wanted to fight back. I really did. But what was the point in useless struggling? I had nothing left in this world. Nothing. 

I was letting him kill me. I was letting him end my life. I had no reason to live in this world anymore. What more was I expecting for? To be blessed by God? To be free from the chains that bind me? I hoped after this, he wouldn't go after Neema. Neema had seen too much in her life. Alice and Adam had so much ahead of them. And this man just took it away. This man right here. 

My vision was starting to get blurry. He's strangling me and I wasn't fighting him. There was no reason to fight anymore. There wasn't any reason to fight even from the beginning of it all. I was blessed with misfortune ever since I got married to Winston. Ever since I said ' I do'. Ever since I turned Thomas's offer down. 

Thomas. 

Josephine, are you here!?" 

The voice was familiar. Winston turned to where the voice had come from but he didn't stop with his strangling. 

" Josephine!"

Thomas!

His voice was starting to get closer and closer as he called for me. Was he alone? But it would be too late by then. I would be already be gone by the time he arrives and then Winston would come after him next. 

No.

I wouldn't let him. I have to save him! I want to live! 

I mustered my last remaining strength to reach for something that would help me in my predicament. Anything at all would do. My right hand was flailing endlessly beside me just to reach for anything. Please, Lord, anything at all. I felt something hard within my grasp and grabbed it. Winston was too preoccupied by the voices he had heard that I was able to hit him on the head with a rock. He had finally let go of my throat. 

I gasped for air, coughing hard as I tried to stand up. I was still lightheaded for the long time my air supply was cut short, but I had to endure. Thomas's here. I have to save him from Winston. I quickly turned to Winston who was still rubbing his temple. I could make out blood on his hands. I didn't have much time. I have to lure him away from where Thomas was. I have to save him. I took multiple steps back from Winston to gain a safe distance. I didn't want to leave my eyes off of him. I wanted him to chase me. 

" Josephine! Where are you? Answer me!" 

I saw Winston's shoulders reacted to his voice. This was bad. I picked a stone on the ground and threw it at him. It hit him right on his bloody temple. He turned to me, enraged with my action and he had picked himself up from the ground. He carried the bag where my childrens' heads were and hung it on his shoulder. He tilted his neck sideways, giving out a loud cracking sound. He grinned mischiveously at me, mouthing the words:

" You should start running, now."

And so I did.