Chapter 69: Body

We followed the main road, lights from shops flickered as we went past them. Some were closing shop and some were 24/7. We whizzed past numerous tiny buildings. I wasn't sleepy. After everything that had happened so far. 

" Where are we going?" I asked Mac. 

" We're going to visit Yhan in Tacoma." he replied without looking at me. 

I slouched back. The seat belt tugged over my chest. " Yeah, we should." I said.

After all that had happened, I was afraid to look at Yhan in the eye. It was partly my fault why she had gotten herself into this mess. There were just times wherein you would just like to isolate yourself from the world. And this was one of those times. 

We had exited the small town and into the highway. Fields of trees now surrounded us on both sides. I sat up, not wanting to fall asleep in my slouch position. 

SIlence lingered in the car. Neither of us had anything that we wanted to share about. It was awkward that way. But the silence was welcoming though. And you wouldn't hear me complaining.

My stomach growled, breaking off the car's silence. I blushed a little before looking at Mac. When I looked at him, he was already wearing a large grin. 

" Fuck you." I retorted without giving him much to say what. He started laughing. 

Something in the corner of my eye caught my attention up front. It was a silhouette. And as we neared it, it started to come clear. It was a person. 

" Watch out!" I shouted as I reached for the steering wheel. But it was too late. Mac looked front and the entity tumbled over from our windshieled on impact, and then to the car's roof and then rolled back. The car swerved in circles. The screeching sound of the tires on asphalt reminded me of Fast and Furious and all those car race movies as Mac hit the brakes. Except that this was real. 

And we had just hit a real person. 

We catapulted onto the dashboard. Luckily, we were wearing our seatbelts. We looked back. There was a body lying in the middle of the road. Shit! Please don't be dead!

" What the fuck..." Mac muttered beside me. I didn't notice I was breathing heavily. Tension and fear was flowing in my veins, making my heart pump more blood than usual. I was just bailed out from prison and now we just ran over someone. 

Mac reached for the door and opened it. He stepped out in the open and looked at me. " Stay here. I'll..." he eyed the unidentified body. " ... I'll go check it out." he said bravely. 

Just as I was about to reach out to him and tell him to wait, he closed the door and went off; leaving me in the car. I looked back from the safety of my seat at them. I remembered what happened to my friends one by one. And Mac might be the next target. I didn't want to take any chances. I opened the front door and leaped out, closing the car door behind me. I followed Mac's trail towards the body. I muttered profanities here and there. This was against my choice but I didn't want any more deaths. 

I ran towards Mac who was standing meters away from the body. 

" Do you think it's... dead?" I huffed. Mac shot me a look. 

" I hope not!" he hissed. 

He went on his knees and slowly reached for the body. It was female, that I was sure of. She was wearing a frilly cream colored night gown. Her long hair gave away her features but we couldn't make out the face. 

" I'll go get my phone... I'll call for an ambulance." Mac stood up and he jogged back towards the car. I watched him as he went and then my eyes turned back to the body. I wanted to know if she was still breathing. 

My eyes widened when all I saw was asphalt. 

The body was gone.