Chapter 76: Memory: Like A Rose

I was tending to the roses that bloomed beautifully on our back yard. They were beautiful but yet, they seemed so dead. The mere sight of it reminded me of my relationship with Winston. I was a rose. I may look like an innocent pure child but I knew that I was a sinner. I have sinned against the Church and against the world and against my husband. 

But I have no regrets.

Winston was back at home and he was reading his usual morning newspaper. Neema accompanied the kids as they were playing hide and seek. I told Winston that I'd be taking a walk in the rose garden. It was a beautiful sunny day, a slight chill lingered in the air but it was tolerable. My Victorian lace dress got caught up by some rose vines as I strolled past them. I had a hard time detaching it. As I was getting frustrated and impatient, I tried to pull it softly but a very painful sting welcomed me instead. 

" Ack." I cried out. My pointing finger was bleeding. I placed my injured finger inside my mouth and started sucking on it. I swallowed the dry taste of blood and its metallic taste. I looked down on the helm of my dress, and it was ripped apart. I muttered a bloody damn before tending to it as I crouched on the floor. 

I heard the crunching of grass as someone approached me from behind. I turned around and saw Thomas, with that dazzling smile of his. 

" You hurt?" he asked. His strong southern accent getting clearer and clearer. 

I stood up from the ground. " Just a prick." I bluntly replied. " Damn roses need some pruning these days." I stopped and looked at him. I just remembered it was his job to tend the garden and it was tactless of me to say that out loud. " Ah... If you may." I motioned with my hand politely. 

He responded with a chuckle. " You don't need to be so formal Milady. I will get to that as soon as I can." 

I smiled warmly. 

" You taking yourself out for a walk?" he asked as he looked around the garden. He squinted at the sight of the sun. 

I nodded. " Yes. I perhaps think that I needed a breather. Care to join me?" I smiled flirtatiously at him. 

He bobbed his eyebrows and grinned. " Well, don't mind if I do. It's always a pleasure to walk around with a beautiful woman such as yourself." 

I blushed to that. He offered his arm and I took it. And we made our way deeper into the rose garden enjoying the bright sun and the beautiful red scene around us. 

Later did we realize that someone was watching us from the second floor window of our Victorian home. 

Later did we realize that someone was watching us with hatred and jealousy.

Later did we realize that someone was watching us with the intent to kill. 

***

It was night time and the mere dim light made everything so hazy and unclear in the darkness. Winston was sitting on the side of the bed, his elbows were on his knees and it was clear that he was in deep thought. I continued to brush my wavy hair in silence. Something uncomfortable was in the air and I didn't like it. 

I was grateful that he always traveled a lot. I didn't want to see his face. It reminded me of may faults and my family's faults. But the one thing I didn't like about all his traveling was that when he returned home, he would force me to comfort him in ways that you'd never imagine. I, as a wife, of course, put up with his sexual plays. My soul, my mind, and my body has been raped countless of times. What gave me strength was the fact that my children would have more of a future when I was with him. 

But something different was in the air tonight. No, it wasn't lust. It was something more terrifying. 

From the corner of my eye, Winston stood from the bed and headed towards me. My muscles tensed to his every step. I felt him behind me. I placed the brush down on the dresser and slowly looked at him. His eyes were empty but I could see something else in his eyes. But I still couldn't make out what.

" Y-Yes, my love?" I stuttered. His actions were somewhat unusual this evening, and this gave me shivers. 

He laid his hand on my hair as he brushed it to my side, clearly exposing the side of my neck. He started kissing it, clearly with other intentions in mind. I quickly stood up away from him, my face exposing the disgust I was feeling. His eyes widened to my reaction but slowly went back to his calm and somber demeanor. I feared that. 

" So, that's how it goes, darling..." He nodded his head like I had something in him explode. " So that's how it goes."

" I apologize my dear but..." I paused, looking for acceptable excuses. "... now is not the time to-"

" It's Thomas, right?"

My eyes widened. I felt all my muscles tensed in response. I bit my lip and slowly looked at him. 

I mustered the courage to ask innocently. " W-Whatever do you me-?" 

" Whore."

His mere response was loud and clear. One word was all it took. 

He had found out.