Chapter 68: Cry

I was lying on the steel bed they had given me in my little crammed prison. The echoing sound of water dripping somewhere had somewhat given me comfort. With my right hand on my forehead, I continued to stare at the grey ceiling. The lawyer told me that I would be up for trial and he would do anything to win this. It was like I wasn't given any say onto this matter. It was like I was pled guilty even before the trial. Honestly, I was becoming hopeless. I just hoped that my friends were okay. 

Scratch that.

I hoped they were alive and okay.

Besides, they hadn't found any bodies at the house. Any female bodies to be exact. That was a good sign, right? 

Optimism was now, my only friend. 

The opening of the steel door at the far end of the hallway startled me from my thoughts. The steps were getting closer and louder. It was night time as far as I could see because the sky outside my small window was dark. So I was sure it was way past sunset. Thus, night time. But who would then pay a visit this late? 

The steps stopped at my jail door. My eyes moved and I saw a sight for sore eyes. I quickly stood up and headed for the bars. 

" Mac!" I shouted in glee.

" Jesus, Mau. What are you going to do without me?" he smirked. The officer held out keys and started unlocking the metal barred door. I took a step back, confused. 

" What's going on?" I asked. 

" You're free to go." the officer replied flatly. 

" What?" I managed to say as I willingly stepped out of the small prison. 

" I bailed you." Mac held out a hand to me and smiled. I accepted his hand and forcely smiled back. I had so many questions and so many things to tell him but they could wait. Right now, I just wanted to hustle out from here. 

We held hands as we exited the hallway. We heard other female prisoners whistling at us and we didn't bother looking at them. 

As I stepped out from the Police Station, the cold sting of autumn welcomed me back in its arms. My sweater was soaked with Yhan's blood so I wasn't wearing one. Besides, it was still at that God forsaken house. I was only wearing jeans and a white shirt, traces of my friend's blood were still visible all over my outfit. I was like, what they suspected me, a murderer.

Mac led me to his elantra, parked at the designated area with a few others. The scene wherein I was led out by Officer Reyes outside the house wherein Mac's car wasn't in sight flashbacked at the back of my mind. And I just had to ask. 

" Where were you?" I asked. My voice barely a whisper. 

He looked at me and then back at the car before giving me an answer. " I just had to leave you guys for a bit when I heard the police sirens. I wanted to make sure that one of us would get out to save the others in case things go shitty. And it really did."

I stayed quiet. His mere presence comforted me. 

" Where's Yhan and Kim?" he asked. " When the officer told me it was only you, my heart began to race a little."

I watched him as he unlocked his car. " Yhan is in the hospital. She got..." I hesitated but continued. "... hurt."

He quickly went around the hood and opened the door for me. I got in. He shuffled back and went to his side and he also, got in. 

" And Kim?"

My muscles tensed as he started the car. I bent my head down in dismay. He put the car in reverse. 

" I think she's... gone..." I answered softly.

The car came to a dead halt. I looked at Mac and he too was saddened by the news of another friend's death. He looked at me and then continued on reverse. 

" I... I'm sorry." he apologized. 

I slowly shook my head in response to his apology. It wasn't anyone's fault. I was sure of that. We pulled into the main road and started along it.

Mac listened as I cried for the nth time.