Chapter 41: Darkness

I jolted back, my back pressed onto the mirror as I turned. There was no one in the room but me. I scanned the room again and again, but no drop of temperature or whatsoever. No goosebumps even. 

" Shit." I muttered. 

I looked at the family portrait. It was as it was. But I felt Josephine's eyes were on me and I just had to call out. 

" Guys! Get your fucking asses over here!" I shouted. I heard footsteps running down the hallway. 

They stormed in and scanned the room before looking at me. 

" What happened?" Yhan asked in a pant. 

" I fucking saw her." I replied.  " I fucking saw her!" I pointed at the family portrait. My hands were trembling and I'd understand why. 

" God." Kim whispered. " You okay?"

" Hell no!" I shouted. " That's why I said ' No splitting up!' ". I scowled at Yhan. I was mad. But I'm not blaming her or anything. I was just mad!

She scowled back.

There was silence in the room. Intensity was present in the air. 

" We searched land and air, but this was just an old abandoned house." Kim broke the silence. " I guess our search was for nothing. It's time we get out of this house. I have a funny feeling that we're being watched."

I watched Yhan stomped her way out of the room and down the stairs. Mumbling profanities here and there. 

I watched her as she disappeared down the staircase. 

" Mau..."

I turned to Kim. Her beautiful red hair was kept in a high ponytail and she was wearing a brown coat. She had light make up on and for the first time in days, I could see her usual light. But dark circles around her eyes were still present. 

" What?" 

" We're sorry. We didn't mean it for all this to happen." she said. 

For a moment, I calmed down. I inhaled and exhaled, letting out a huuuu sound. " I'm good." I nodded, forcing a smile. 

She wearily smiled back. She made her way past me and out the room's door. 

" I'll calm Yhan down. Catch up." she said as she walked down the stairs. 

I stayed unmoved. 

After moments later, when I got my composure back, I decided to apologize to Yhan for the outburst I had earlier. As I made my way onto the stairs, I saw the black middle-aged woman standing at the end of the hallway where the lone window was at the corner of my left eye. Her arms on her side. 

She continued to stare at me and I felt chills down my spine. 

" You..." I said. 

" Darkness mostly gathers at night." she replied in a low voice. Goosebumps started to form all over my body. 

" Mau!" Kim called out from the ground floor. 

" Coming!" I shouted back, looking down the stairs. 

I turned back to the woman but she was now gone. I continued to scan the hallway, but no woman was in sight. She must have went in one of the rooms that ran across the hallway. 

I went down the stairs and headed for my friends. 

Yhan and Kim were all in front of the door, trying to pry it open. I hurried over.

" What happened?" I said as I slowed down. 

" It won't budge open." Yhan replied. 

" What?" I wanted to hear the words right. 

" It won't open!" Kim struggled with the door. " Fuck, I don't want to be here till 'sunset! We're trapped here!"

My eyes widened as I remembered the woman's words. 

Darkness mostly gathers at night.