Chapter 49: Screams

Everything was in sepia shade. Old and vintage. This was a dream. More like a vision. These were recollections of the past. 

But, why me?

It was a peaceful day. Birds were chirping somewhere outside the house. Josephine Walter sat on a rocking chair and a little girl was sitting on her lap. They rocked gently altogether. She was brushing the golden locks of her daughter. A sweet smile spread across her face. The little girl would glance from the doll in her hand and back up to her mother, telling her of her daily experiences.  The mother would just nod back to everything that she would say, asking her questions here and there. Everything was peaceful.

Little Andy was playing his blue toy truck not far from them. He looked up to a man, not as tall as Winston but he was wearing ragged clothes and a hat. He stood in front of little Andy and carried him into his arms. He smiled to Josephine and she sweetly smiled back. 

This was the supposed family. 

And it must have broken Winston Walter's heart.

And drove him into rage. 

Josephine and Thomas both jolted to the sound of engine in the front yard. Thomas hurriedly planted a kiss to his beloved's cheek and jogged towards the kitchen. Josephine gently put her daughter on the floor as she stood up from the rocking chair. She patted her dress and fixed herself up to welcome the main man of the household, Winston Walter. 

Winston entered the house, eyeing his family from head to toe. Josephine bent her head down in respect. He handed him his jacket and she accepted it. Neema hurried for the lady and offered her hand for the jacket in embarassment. Josephine smiled and placed it on her hands. 

The children stood still. They were behaving to welcome their father back safely. Little Adam noticed that his blue toy truck was still on the floor and in his father's way. But it was too late by then. Mr. Walter side swept it and the truck rolled under a furniture. Little Adam was about to get it but he saw his mother shaking her head slowly. Little Adam understood the message right away. 

Thomas emerged from the kitchen and welcomed Mr. Walter by bowing his head. He mouthed something and the gentleman just simply nodded. He headed for the stairs and went up. The tension in the air in his presence was gone and they could finally breathe without fearing for their lives. 

Josephine looked up as her husband called out for her from their room. She looked at Thomas, and he already had his brows furrowed. She smiled reassuringly and headed up the stairs and into the Master's bedroom. They heard the bedroom's door clicked as it got locked. 

 And the people they left continued to look up the ceiling as Josephine Walter's screams continued.