Chapter 52: Lifeless

We drove down the road where that house sat. We needed to take this road. It was the only way to get to the old caretaker's location. As we passed it, Yhan, Kim and I averted our gazes from it and focused on the sea instead. Mac kept silent, knowing that there were three women in his car traumatized by the experience. 

We pulled into an old farm house's yard ten minutes later. We eyed the house and it seemed like no body has lived in it it for years. Metal scrap was lying on the porch. There was an old maple tree, but due to the cold season, its leaves withered leaving a beautiful blanket of red on the ground. There was an old tire swing hanging from one of the branches of the tree. Looking at it swing as the wind blew gave me shivers. 

" Are you sure this is it?" I asked Mac, my eyes never leaving the house. 

" Yeah. Come on." he said. He got out of the car and Yhan, Kim and I exchanged glances before following. 

It has been two days since the house incident. I seeked medical treatment regarding the wounds we got from the past week. Yhan had her nose checked, and I had my... Well, my whole body checked. The only one who didn't get a beating was Kim. Not that I'm hoping she would have one. Yhan and I were enough.

We made our way to the porch. The wooden floor beneath us made an eery creaking sound as it weighed us. Seemed like the places we would go to were always down right creepy. I reached for my bump. I remembered that the doctor back from Tacoma General Hospital, made sure to keep it plastered. It was nasty, believe me. I would still have migraines often. 

Yhan wasn't wearing any plasters for her nose. She seemed to be recovering fast and well. I just hope saying that wouldn't jinx it though. 

Mac opened the screen door before knocking on the wooden one. 

" Sir?" Mac called out. An old man then. "Old men" was starting to trend here. I hoped he wouldn't talk to himself in an empty room. 

Mac knocked again. There was no response. 

" That's strange." He placed his hands in his pockets. " A few days ago, one knock and he answered immediately."  He told us. 

He knocked on the door one more time. " Good afternoon, Sir. This is Mark. I'm back here to return the keys you lent me." 

No answer. 

I saw a bay window in the corner of the porch and decided to check it out. " I'll check inside." I said as I headed for the window.

" How?" Yhan asked.

I cupped my hands on my eyes, imitating a pair of binoculars. " Improvise." 

I wiped off the dust from the window, coughing in the process. I cupped my hands on my eyes as I peered inside. I saw a living room with its television on but it was on mute. Everything seemed to be clean and nothing was out of place. But the question was, where is the old man? He must have gone out. But why would he leave the television on then? 

Something caught my attention in the far corner of the living room. It was hiding from plain view but I could make out what. I squinted to see what it was.

My eyes widened in fear and the sight of it etched in the back of my mind. I felt goosebumps all over my body. 

" What a surprise. It's open." I heard Mac say and the three of them went inside the house. 

It was too late for me to warn them. 

I heard Kim scream as they saw lifeless eyes staring back at them.