Chapter 40: Reach

" Guys, I think you need to see this." Yhan called out from one of the rooms. Kim and I hurried to where she was. And to think I just told her that there was no splitting up, damn it. 

We hurried and entered what seemed to be the Master's bedroom. There was a cream-colored comforter on one side and a dresser with a large mirror on the other. A family portrait was hanging on the wall. It was their family portrait. 

Josephine Walter was beautiful. She had long lashes and long brown wavy hair. Her hair was kept in a bun but strands of hair fell softly onto one of her shoulders. She was wearing a cream-colored Victorian dress, like what she wore when I first laid my eyes on her back at Yhan's house.

I couldn't make out clearly the other three people with her in this portrait. Their faces were all ripped out and Josephine Walter was the only one left brimming with a mysterious smile. She was staring  blankly at the camera but somehow, as I stared at her eyes, it felt sad. So sad. 

The man beside her, whom I presumed was her husband, stood prim. His left hand on his abdomen and one hand on the shoulder of his wife. This was the man who murdered Josephine. My stomach churned at the thought of it. 

The other two were children. Their faces were ripped out as well. One was a boy and the other was a girl. They were in front of their parents standing and leaning. Their hands together.  

Somehow, there's more to this family portrait. It was in sepia shade and it was so vintage.

And so old. 

And sad. 

I closed my eyes and blinked a few times. We have to know the truth behind her death. I think those were the answers we needed. Why had her husband killed her? What happened to her family? What exactly happened to her?

 I studied the room. It was huge and the chairs were all covered in white cloth. If an antique seller  could spot this house, it would be a gold mine for him. He would make millions from all these valuable items back in the 1900s and no one even dared to set foot here. Maybe because of the rumors of this house being haunted and cursed. I wouldn't blame the person behind the rumors though. I would agree in a way.

As I turned back to my friends, they were already nowhere to be found. Probably exploring the house. So much for NOT splitting up though. 

I sighed.

I made my way to the big dresser on the other side of the room. I presumed this was where Josephine Walter would fix or brush her hair before going out. I studied the dresser. My reflection hazy from all the dust cobwebs that accumulated on it.

Something caught my attention as I sat at the dresser. There were red stains at the corner and I didn't want to think those were what I think they were. I shuddered. 

I looked at my reflection again. 

With her arms stretched, my eyes widened as Josephine Walter was reaching out for me from the corner of the room.