Chapter 48: Escape

I tried to gasped for air but I couldn't. I reached for anything that would help me out but there were only books and useless documents scattered on the floor. I fell to my knees, as I felt my life in danger. It's crushing my airways. The pain was excruciating. The body that was hanging from the ceiling I saw earlier was now gone. But his tightening grip remained, crushing my neck. 

I heard banging on the door but I didn't have the strength to reach for it and open it. Besides, it was locked. It wouldn't open without a key. A key.

I heard the dangling of keys from the other side. I was already seeing black stars. If somebody would find me, it would be too late by then. 

All of a sudden, the door lunged open and Yhan and Kim stormed the room. 

" Mau!" They called out in unison.

I felt the air rushed into my lungs as the invisible grip subsided. I gasped for air. I felt a tug on my arm. I looked up and saw Mac. 

" Let's get out of here." Mac said. How the hell-

I didn't have time to gather my thoughts. I stood up unsteadily and we darted for the door. There was a staircase surrounded by brick walls on both sides. Feeling the paper clippings safe inside my pocket, we hurriedly jogged down the stairs. I looked back and caught a glimpse of Winston Walter just before the door slammed close. 

We exited another door that led to the staircase we jsut descended from. We were now in the Master's bedroom. A secret room! I found the dresser moved to the side and a door was behind where it was. And either Yhan, Kim or Mac knew it. But I didn't have time to ask them questions. Questions could be saved for later. Right now, we needed to focus on getting ourselves out of this house.

We went down the stairs and into the lobby. My eyes widened when the front door was now open and Mac's car was out in the graveled yard, with its lights on. We ran for the car, the sound of gravel beneath our soles. I went inside the front passenger seat and Yhan and Kim followed and sat behind us. Mac backed the car up and stepped on the gas. We sped into the highway. 

The car was in silence. Only our pants were heard. 

The adrenaline that was keeping myself up until now flowed out from my body. And I fell into a relaxing blanket of darkness and sleep.