Chapter 81: Memory: Heads

" Neema, run!" 

Neema instinctively pushed the kitchen door open and darted forward. I lunched myself for the set of knives that were set on the kitchen counter I saw earlier. I grabbed a large knife and charged towards Winston. Winston hadn't seen that coming and we both fell to the floor. The shotgun skidded away from his grip. We struggled with strength who gets to win over the knife I was holding. I was on top of him. I might have even a slight chance to end him even if the percentage of it was small. Struggling, I managed to gash him. He grunted at it and kneed me on the stomach. It was painful but I didn't let go of the knife. He continued to knee me again and again, giving me excruciting pain on the abdomen until I lost grip of the knife. Unfortunately, the knife fell just beside his face. He grabbed me by the wrists and shoved me to the side as he crawled for the shotgun that was just inches away from us. Still in pain, I went for his legs and yanked him back. If he would manage to reach it, that would be the end of me and then he would go for Neema next. No way was I going to let that happen. 

Heading for the shotgun, I crawled on top of him, my weight pinning him down. He struggled under me but his right hand managed to break free. He managed to get a hold of my hair and pulled with strength. The pain of it made me roll to my side. He stood quickly and ran for the shotgun. Realizing what he was about to do, I quickly crawled behind the settee just before he fired. 

Somehow, the shot managed to graze me on my left shoulder. It hurt like hell but I didn't dare show weakness. 

" Josephine, darling, are you dead?"

I shut my eyes. He was clearly going insane. I didn't dare respond. I heard him as he reloaded his deadly weapon. It would take time so I guessed this would be a perfect chance to run for it. 

I ran for the kitchen door as hurriedly as I could. I heard him call out my name but I didn't look back. I continued running to who knows where. Our Victorian home was surrounded by woods. If I'd follow the graveled path, I would be an open and easy target. I decided to run for the woods where it would give me a slight chance to lose him in the forest of trees. 

I held up my gown to give way for my feet. My hair was tied in a loose bun. Adrenaline  had taken control of my body so the injuries I gained weren't giving me a bad time at all. I knew he would come chasing me. I had hurt him. I had gashed him. I had provoked him. I knew he would hone in on me. 

The forest was dark but the moon light above had made it easier to see. This was what I needed. I had to take my chances to get away from here. I wondered why I volunteered to be the heroine this time. Neema was always there to save me. Maybe it was time, that it would be my turn to save her. I had no reason to live. I wasn't able to save my children, and I hadn't got a clue how he ended them. 

I ran endlessly deeper into the woods; leaves crunching to my every step. I could feel my sweat dripping on my face as I ran for my life. I stopped and panted, not knowing why I brought myself in this situation. The light that the moon was giving was getting dimmer and dimmer. I looked above and saw clouds were starting to cover the only light source I have. I heard thunder roaring in the distance. There was a storm coming. 

I looked behind me. There was no one in sight. An overwhelming feeling of relief managed to get the best of me. I just hoped that I had managed to lose him. I heard the sound of leaves crunching to my right. I quickly scanned the perimeter. I saw no one. I was about to take a step forward when I heard it again. Scanning the perimeter and seeing no one, this made me believe I was getting paranoid. My brown hair was wet with sweat and some strands were sticking onto my face. My right eye stung as a bead of sweat dropped into it, making me squint. 

" Josephine."

The sound of his voice made all my hair stand on its ends. I was starting to have goosebumps all the way from the nape of my neck down to my spine. I quickly spun around to make out his silhouette, just behind a tree. His lean body and his broad shoulders made me think that he was once my husband. That was the funny thing about it. Once

I scanned his features. His hands were on his sides and there was no shotgun in sight. Part of me wanted to take this chance and run away as far as I could get, and one part of me wanted to go toe in toe with him; but I knew if I choose the latter, I wouldn't stand a chance. 

The leaves crunching under his step snapped me from my thoughts. He had neared me, but there was still distance between us. I wanted to be safe. I noticed he was holding something in his hands.

" Winston darling..." I mustered the courage to call out, ignoring whatever was in his hands. Part of me didn't want to know.  " ... please calm down." That was a very shallow plead but at least I tried. 

I saw him took a deep breath and looked down, " I'm just so flustered at the moment, Josephine." he said wearily. He had shown genuine weakness. This was the Winston I married. This somehow made me calm down for a moment. 

" W-Where is your shotgun?" I stuttered.

He shook his head and his shoulders lowered. " No more shells." He gave me a smile. He was insane and he needed help. From this, I had to approach him carefully. 

" Alright, darling. Please listen to me. I apologize for the things I have done and God knows, what I am. We all are sinners but I had lied to you and deceived you... You best know I deserve all of this. But not in this way. Let's go get help." I raised my hands to show him that I meant no harm.  " Let's all put it in the past." I saw him nod to this and I took one step closer. We were now standing in front of each other, breathing heavily from all the running. 

" What are you holding down there, if I may ask?"

He looked down at the bag he was carrying. For a moment, I thought I saw his mouth curved into a sly smile. But maybe it was just my imagination. 

" This?" he raised the bag. The stench of it made me take a step back. It reeked of something metallic. And I knew it was blood. I covered my mouth and nose with my left hand and my eyes widened in terror as he opened it for me.

Inside, were my children's heads. 

                                   ------------------------------------------------

                                A/N: Review Chapters 2, 8 & 17 please.