Chapter 93: We Were There

It has been a year since then. Everything changed. The three of us were moving on with our lives and I was glad we managed to. Our sail through the past year was peaceful. There weren't any hauntings ever since the day Mac died. Maybe, Mac was indeed possessed. 

Or crazy.

Yhan had saved our lives at a crucial time. If she had arrived later, I wouldn't be writing this now. I had told her a million thanks, but she would just brush me off, telling me that it was nothing over and over again. I did ask her once about how on earth did she know where we were. I wasn't going to accept a vague answer as " It was the most obvious place one could think of" but I need specifics. She hesitated at first but gave in in the end. She told me during her confinement in the hospital, she had recurring dreams of watching me die. Like she was a ghost or something like that. We couldn't see her, but she could see us. She watched us from start to finish. She also watched Kim as she tried to put pressure on my stab wound, trying her best to stop the bleeding. The wound was too deep. The bleeding led me to my demise. I went pale and still, my eyes half-open. She woke up with beads of sweat on her face but dismissed it merely as a nightmare. The next night, she had the same dream. And the night after, and the night after that.  She watched Kim as she broke down in front of my lifeless body, crying her heart out. That same scene, again and again and again. She, then realized, that there must be some unseen force trying to tell her something. Her grandfather believed in the supernatural, how come she couldn't give this a chance? She then, decided to call the nurse and asked to talk to the police. The police came, those same people who arrested me: Officer Reyes and her fellow partner, Officer Harris. Yhan told them about her dream and that she was sure that it was going to happen in the future. Officer Harris scoffed at her claims and told her that it was all a bad dream. This is all just a waste of time, he thought. Harris motioned Reyes to come with him as he exited the room but was surprised to find that Reyes stayed standing at the edge of Yhan's hospital bed. Officer Reyes stared Yhan down, like she was reading her mind. She then turned to her partner, telling him that they would definitely check it all out. That same day, Yhan was discharged from the hospital. 

They rushed to where we were, and found us. Just in the nick of time. 

Four months after the incident, police found a female cadaver washed ashore on the nearby beach. She was wearing a night gown. The same night gown that Josephine wore at the time of her death. Many people speculated that it indeed was her, and many brushed off the thought. I watched the news report with my mouth open when I saw the lifeless figure om TV. It was what I saw back in the lake when I went fishing with my pops. A century must have somehow connected the lake and the sea together. Knowing that they finally found her missing body—mysteriously washed ashore, of course—made me think that everything was entirely and finally over. Relief washed over me and I knew that Kim and Yhan were thinking the same by their ends. 

                                                                                          ***

I stared at the horizon in front of me and thought of how beautiful it was. The sky was brimming with warmth and glow as the sun was starting to set. One year has passed since then, and the memories were still fresh. The three of us were holding hands as we gazed at the beautiful scenery in front of us. Behind us was the old Victorian house. No wonder Josephine loved looking out the window. The sunset is a sight to behold, I thought to myself. She must have had the most beautiful view there is.

" Anniversary, huh?" I heard Kim say beside me. It snapped me from my thoughts. 

" Man, time sure flies fast." Yhan agreed to her statement.