Chapter 37: Answer

We were now tresspassing in private property as we continued walking towards the house. The sound of gravel beaneath our feet was telling us that there was no turning back now. 

The red Victorian house stood amidst all the dead trees that surrounded it. It was located on top of a small hill so we had to walk our way up. I could notice that this old house was once beautiful in its time. It was indeed beautiful but the signs of decay were everywhere. It had been a century since Josephine Walter lived here. We'd never know, but once we would enter this house, it might topple on top of us. And maybe this house, would be our very own tomb. 

" Why am I even back here?" Kim asked. There was fear in her voice. When Kim told us her story about seeing Josephine Walter on the second floor of this house, we just had to check this place out. Answer. The magnets were so arranged clearly that we just had to go to the place where it all started. And that is this house. 

" I just want to get back what was taken from me." Yhan said. She calmed down after seeing the mess in her grandfather's home. For now, we were in a truce. 

As we were standing on the graveled front yard, it felt like the house itself was looking at us. It was studying us. " Come on." I said. 

It was almost four in the afternoon. We had to do this before sunset. Otherwise, who knew what'd happen to us if we're caught up by the darkness of the night. Like what Yhan's grandfather said, ' Darkness gathers mostly at night.' I was afraid to find out what he meant by darkness.

We went up the porch. Our steps on the wooden floor gave a solid thud sound as we took each step. It was only the three of us. Mac had an emergency call from his boss at work and Yhan's grandfather wasn't able for this. It gave the three of us relief since we didn't want to put anyone into this matter anymore. It'd be too dangerous. 

I reached for the brass door handle and turned it. It was locked. It gave a chk sound as I gave it a go. 

" Locked." I said. 

" Yhan and I will go check for any other entrances." Kim said bravely. I nodded. I watched them as they disappeared in the corner of the porch. I hoped they found a broken window or somewhere safe for us to get into.

Chk

I jumped at the sound of the door knob being turned. It creaked open. This house was inhabited and we thought it wasn't! And I found myself in an awkward situation of trying to tresspass into the house! And it was too late to hide! 

A black middle-aged woman, wearing raggy nanny clothes with a tattered white apron and a purple turband on her head stared at me behind the door. She opened it just enough for me to look back at her. 

" May I help you?" she asked, wearily.

" Uh... I'm s-sorry. I must have gotten the wrong house." I lied.

She gave me a scrutinizing look. 

 " Sorry. I... I better get going." It was so awkward. God damn it! This was so embarassing! I walked down the stairs of the porch without looking back.

" Oh, hello there Mau. We were waiting for you." I heard her say behind me. I stopped when I heard my name. How the hell-

I turned back to face her. 

But all I saw was a door, now open.