Chapter 3: Grip

" Thanks for starting the reunion with negative vibes, Mau." Yhan exclaimed. 

I sat at a corner of Yhan's room in silence. Bringing all the snacks my pantry could offer just to make them forgive me for being late. I closed my eyes and laid my head on the wall. Here we go again.

And besides, you don't have to be so rude by telling me that it's cold here by wearing that scarf." she continued. " My heater's working well, mind you." 

" It's not that." I finally spoke. " I'm just cold that's all."

" You're definitely hiding some hickeys you got from Mac." Kim whispered. 

 I rolled my eyes. Mac is my boyfriend. Uh, ex boyfriend. Long story. 

" Did you guys get back together and had a make out session?" she giggled. Oh, Kim. 

" No." I said flatly. 

" Then why are you wearing a scarf in this temperature?" Yhan asked. She seems insulted by this small gesture. 

I sighed and I didn't have any choice. I didn't want to tell them what happened because of two things. One, they might think I'm crazy. Or two, they might make fun of me because they think I'm crazy. Now ain't that superb? But seeing to that, they're as bubbly as always, and yes, that was WITH sarcasm, I guess they have what it takes to see these ugly markings around my neck. 

I slowly unwrapped the scarf around my neck. Kim stared at my neck for any signs of kiss marks and Yhan rolled her eyes. And I was standing there in disbelief. The markings were gone!

" What? Where - " was all I managed to say.

I heard Kim giggled and snorted " No hickeys." And then she giggled again. 

Yhan threw a pillow at me. " Loser." 

I smiled nervously. I don't know what to say nor what to feel. I should be relieved that the markings were gone. But what is this I'm feeling? It's contrary to what I'm expecting myself to feel. But instead, I'm frightened because it's gone.

 Yhan turned on the television and the ramblings of the newscaster snapped me out of it. I have to get a grip! Yhan turned to me. " I'll be making us some popcorn." She was waving two bags of microwavable popcorn. Goodbye, pantry popcorn. You will be missed. 

" Sure." Kim replied. 

I just smiled and nodded. 

I watched Yhan close the door. I touched my throat. I could still feel it.

I could still feel the man's tight grip.