Chapter 74: Memory: Wedding

I was on his chest and he was caressing my hair. The blanket that he got for us earlier was enough to keep us warm throughout the night. Everything was like a fairy tale. And it was funny thinking that we had just made love on his barn's roof. This man here, was my life. 

This man here, was my forever.

Not Winston Walter. 

Nor anyone. 

I closed my eyes and continued to savor the moment as it was. His warmth against my warmth was what mattered right now. He was beside me, and I to him. 

" Thomas..."

" Hm?"

I smiled. My head was still on his chest and my eyes still closed. " I love you."

I felt his muscles tensed in response. I raised my head from his chest to face his. His eyes were deep and were full of emotions. 

" Thomas, I-"

" Run away with me." 

My eyes widened. He continued to look at me with his blue eyes and it was said with conviction and determination. 

" Mila-... Josephine..." he took a deep breath. " Please, run away with me." he repeated. 

I was downright stunned of what he just said. Of what he just suggested and offered. I just continued to look at him, still figuring out what to say to him. 

He saw me hesitating and continued on. " We could do it right now, if you may. We could run away together. Far far away. Far away from here. And we could start from scratch. We could start a family in a beautiful town with friendly people and you and I will be together. We could do it you know. Just the two of us."

His words echoed throughout my head. His offer was tempting. I loved him. I loved Thomas Garner. That's right. The two of us could do it together. We had each other. 

No one could stop us if we would do it now. 

I sat up from the roof and faced him, rustling away from the covers. I felt the cold sting of the night air brushed against my bare back. I looked at him and he continued to stare at my physique. 

" What's the matter?" he asked. 

I shook my head in response. I bit my lower lip and my eyes were starting to get blurry. I forced a smile at him. " I can't."

He looked at me, clearly in shock. " Why not?"

I just shook my head once again. " I just can't."

He bent his head down. My answer was still sinking inside of him. He must have expected something else. He must have expected a yes.

" Thomas... your offer... everything sounds good. I want to take it. I really do. But..." I looked down. I didn't want to let him see me crying. "...I just can't leave everything behind. I can't leave my mother... my father... my family... I just can't..." I sobbed. 

Tears were endlessly falling from my eyes, dropping onto my cold lap. I felt a nearing warmth as he embraced me. 

" If you will stay here, I will not go anywhere my dear." he whispered. 

I cried to his response. 

Honestly, I wanted to run away with him. I wanted him to be the father of my kids. I wanted to be safe with him. 

Like what I had said earlier, this world was a whole mess of wrongs.

***

Weeks has passed since that moment with Thomas. Truth to be told, regret had taken the best of me. I was regretting that I hadn't taken his offer. That I had chosen him instead of this rotten day. That I had chosen him instead of my family. Today was my wedding and it was too late. Everything was too late. And I would become Mrs. Walter any time soon.