Chapter 43: Run

The sun has now neared its descent over the mountains; letting out a bright orange horizon in the distance. With still no signal, we were trapped here to God knows when. We tried countless ways on getting ourselves out and every single time, it was for naught. I lost count on our little efforts on breaking the door down. Purplish bruises were visible on Yhan's right arm and mine. We were all huddled on the floor, our backs leaning against the door. The door was the only barrier that kept us from here and the outside. Our panoramic view was focused on the staircase, the kitchen and the living room.

Night was fast approaching and we couldn't do anything about it.

" What now?" Yhan asked in a low whisper. She was clearly exhausted.

" We wait." I said calmly. I didn't know what to say at times like these, as always.

Kim let out a big sigh. " I just hoped either Mac or...or Grandpa will find us. We did leave them our location."

I bent my head down on my knees, cuddling myself in the safety of my warmth. " I want to get out of here the soonest." I finally whispered. 

The two fell silent. 

And night fell.

***

The house was dark and quiet. Random creaking can be heard from somewhere in the house. I just hoped that it was the house's age that's been making those sounds not something else. We were still huddled in front of the door. I didn't know why but we just felt that it would magically open any time soon. But we knew it was just our false hope. We continued on anyway. 

Luckily, it was a full moon. So we had just enough light to get our eyes adjust to the dark unknown environment.  This time, the house was creepy and huge. Perhaps, the darkness was giving off the illusion of spook and it's contradictory to our "beautiful" compliments earlier when we first set foot in the house. 

The covered furniture stood still on the cold dusty floor as they continued to scrutinize us. 

The house itself was giving us the goosebumps. 

There was dead silence in the air. 

A stomach's grumble broke off the silence and we all turned to Kim, who was on my right side. 

" What? It's dinner time and I'm hungry." she quickly said. She was blushing. 

I smiled but it slowly turned into a frown. " Me too. I'm starving." 

" Me three." Yhan joined in.

We continued to stare into the house's darkness.

" Maybe there's food somewhere in this house." Kim said. " If not, we could eat rats."

" No way, I'm not." Yhan replied. I rolled my eyes at Kim's suggestion.  

" Yeah, like the two of you have any ideas. Feel free to speak." she said sarcastically. 

I stood up and handed each one of them one caramel candy that Mac had given me earlier. " I know it doesn't fill the stomach but at least it'll help." I said. 

They took the candies from my hand. I guess they understood the intensity of our situation. Neither of them complained. They both placed the candies inside their mouths. I followed. 

I smiled at them. " Let's look at the bright side. At lease we have each other in this God forsaken hou-"

THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD.

Someone or something ran across the second floor's hallway and we heard a door slammed close. Silence followed after.

We looked at the ceiling before looking at each other. My heart was starting to beat so fast in response to my fear. Goosebumps were all over our bodies. 

" And we have them too." Yhan whispered.