Chapter 53: Questions

His body hung from the ceiling. The stench made our stomachs churn. It seemed like the body had hung there for days. I wouldn't wonder why nobody called the police. His house was isolated from all others. We covered our noses. Running for the door, they tried to gasp for fresh air. Kim was hysterical and she was sobbing. Yhan rushed to the tree and puked. Mac hurriedly dialed the police, pausing between each sentences. And I remained inside. 

I stared at the lifeless body. His hands were pale and saggy that veins were clear as day. He was old. Older than Yhan's grandfather. His eyes remained open, like he still had some unfinished business that he needed to do in his life. But never had the chance. 

Since his life ended here.

" God bless your soul." I whispered.

***

The blue and red lights flickered as the cold wind blew past us. Two police cars were out parked in the front and an ambulance was beside Mac's Elantra. They had Police Sign Do Not Cross tape extended outside. Kim was given hot chocolate to calm herself down. Yhan was talking to an officer and so was Mac. And I stood just outside the police tape; the happenings slowly sinking in. I looked at the two police officers as they carried a stretcher with a body wrapped in a body bag. 

Two officers were talking near the maple tree and took notes as they shared information about the deceased. My eyes widened when I heard a familiar name. 

" Thomas Garner. Age, 91. Lives alone. Cause of death: Asphy-" They stopped as they saw me neared them. 

" Yes, ma'am?" the female officer asked. I looked at her. 

" D-did you say, Thomas Garner?" I stuttered. 

The two police officers looked at each other before looking back at me. The female officer bobbed her eyebrows. " Do you know the deceased ma'am?" 

I didn't want to be brought to their headquarters for questioning because that would just be wasting precious time. Police officers were sometimes a pain in the ass. They would just bring you to their office and then all paperwork here and there. If you got lucky, that is. 

Others, weren't really that lucky. 

I decided to stick to what I heard first. Thomas Garner. Josephine's lover. " No." I lied. " I thought I knew him." They eyed me suspiciously. 

I walked back to my friends and I felt their eyes on my back. " Ma'am." The female officer called out. I stopped on my way and shut my eyes. I let out a deep breath before facing them. 

I bobbed my eyebrows. " Yes?" 

" What were you and your friends doing here anyway?" The question that stated it all. There it was, suspicion.

" I was about to return his keys." Mac chimed in from behind me. 

" Keys?" the male officer, asked. 

" I already told those two officers there. You might unless ask them what happened." Mac replied.

I looked at Mac as he spoke but I felt the female officer's eyes on me.

" It won't hurt to tell two more officers of the story." the male officer shifted his weight on one foot. He was starting to get on my nerves. 

One of their radios broke our conversation. 

We're all set up here. Time to go. Over and out." 

" We're coming. Reyes out." The female officer replied. 

They looked at us and the male officer finally said. " We'll be taking your offer then. We'll ask our colleagues what happened. Good day. " they strode past us. 

We watched them as they got in their cars and pulled out from the yard. 

" What a bunch of assholes." I said, letting out a very high tone on the ass part.

" Now, there. They're gone. And I think we'll be on our way." Mac said softly. 

" Did you tell them the truth? If you did, we'll be goners for tresspassing into private property." 

" Who said I told them the truth?" he quickly countered. 

We went back to the car and buckled ourselves in. We were exhausted and our main mission was for naught. Thomas Garner, Josephine's lover slash the caretaker slash our only lead, had hung himself. And now, our only clue had vanished. Gone. Just like that. We were too late. He now joined his beloved somewhere in the afterlife. Not unless Josephine wasn't in the afterlife, that is. Everyone was silent as the day itself. Mac drove towards the main road.

I noticed Mac glancing at the side mirror way too often. I was annoyed by it.

" What? What did you see?" I finally asked. 

" Nothing." he paused. " I thought I saw a little girl swinging under that maple tree."

When he said that, it gave my friends and I goosebumps. 

I remembered the police officer's words clearly as it flashbacked to me. 

 Thomas Garner. Age, 91. Lives alone.