Chapter 26: Death

I was in disbelief. I couldn't believe my ears. I didn't want to believe any of it. Yhan's eyes widened. She didn't want to believe that her own grandfather told her that there was nothing he could do. 

Nothing.

" Great." Kim chortled. " We're on our own then." She slouched back, decisive of not hearing why. But for our case, it's a why not.

Yhan seemed desperate. " Grandpa, I don't understand. How come you're not going to help us?"

He scoffed at the matter of the question. Like Yhan's question already had an answer at the beginning but laughed at the thought that we didn't know. " Hmm." he grunted. 

I didn't know what to take his answer for. Was that a yes or a no? But I'd take chances.

I turned pleadingly to the old man. " Please, sir. We're being haunted by something. We're being haunted by Jose-"

" Sh." He held up his hand, as if to motion for me to stop. He shook his head. I understood right away.

" We saw her. Kim saw her." My voice barely a whisper. " We haven't had any proper sleep the past few days because of it." I looked at him, his expression hard. I couldn't make out what was running on his mind especially when he had such lifeless eyes. 

" Grandpa, please." Yhan begged. " They t-took Alfred. I want Alfred back." She was becoming desperate. And every time the word " they" came up, reminded me that there was more than Josephine Walter. We're dealing more than one here.

Yhan's grandfather grunted again. He let out a big sigh. " Since you're my precious grand daughter, I'll do what I can." he said. 

We looked at each other with hope and smiles. He's going to help us. I just hoped that he wouldn't change his mind at the last minute. 

" But it's late. We'll start tomorrow." he added. " Darkness gathers mostly at night. Itd be too dangerous."

At least we had hope. At least he said tomorrow. At least tomorrow would come. 

We quickly nodded.

" Let's go to my place." Mac said. I almost forgot that Mac was with us the whole time. 

" No." Yhan's grandfather exclaimed in a hoarse voice. " All of you sleep here."

We looked at each other.Thinking of the fact that I'd be sleeping in a creepy room such as this would even give me more nightmares. 

" If you'll excuse my rude question, sir, but may I know why?" I asked. 

He looked at me with those lifeless eyes, like he knew where I was. Like he could see. 

" Because when you entered this room..." he whispered. "... death's already waiting for you outside."