Chapter 77: Memory: The Start

Everything happened so fast. I was now in the study room. The moon light peered through the covered skies and I was locked here. Winston dragged me to this room by pulling my hair and the agony of it was quite terrifying. I just hoped that my children weren't able to hear my cries. He threw me inside and quickly locked the door. He was the only one who has the key and my chances of escaping from here were minimal. The glass window that led to the rocky shore below wasn't really a good idea of trying to escape from here.

I sat on the beautiful antique chair. I really didn't have any choice now, did I? I would have to take my chances. I had no idea what he intends to do at all. I feared that he might do something to Thomas. Please, anything but that.

I tried to think about happy thoughts. Having those peaceful moments with my children and with Thomas was enough. I sometimes dreamed of them. It must be my strong desire to be with them at all costs.  Maybe I deserved what was coming. 

He was probably right with one thing though. 

I was a whore.

***

The man of the house stormed Neema's room without knocking. His mind was clouded with one thing only and he was determined to do it by himself. He didn't care about anything. Traces of Thomas's blood could be covered easily. He had his servants. He had his money. He could shut any official up with bribery. Or even worse, he could put someone innocent in his place and make him pay the crimes.  

In his hand was a double barrel shotgun. It was something he wouldn't let go at a time like this. The shotgun was a gift from his great grandfather. Since his passing, he would hang it on the fireplace's top wall for display. He would never expect that he would be using it for this kind of purpose. He knew that it was loaded. It'd beter be.

This time, he had chosen to be controlled by rage and fury. He wanted the man dead. That's all that mattered to him right now. He wanted his long time servant and friend dead. 

Neema's muscles tensed as she noticed the shotgun in her master's hand. Neema was fixing her bed when he barged in. 

" Where's Thomas?" Winston's voice was lower as usual. His composure was calm and it was quite deceiving. He was ready to kill. Even Neema knew that. 

Neema was hesitant to answer, knowing that he had something deadly in his grip. She feared for Thomas's life and hers.

It took Winston a moment to grin at the long silence that she was giving. He raised the shotgun point blank at Neema's chest. 

" I don't have all night, woman!" he screamed angrily. He was about to pull the trigger when he noticed Neema shaking her head desperately. An audible whimper escaped from her lips.

She honestly didn't know where Thomas was, and she was grateful for having that kind of knowledge at the moment. Winston stared her down for a moment and lowered the gun. He stomped out from the room and into the corridor. His fading steps on the wooden floor made Neema let out a sigh of relief. She was holding her breath for some time after Thomas stormed in.

 She could feel her lower mouth and hands shivering in fright. She hadn't expected this. She had to warn Thomas. She slowly went for the doorway and peered outside just on time to see Winston exited the main door and onto the cold night. He must be heading to Thomas's barn. 

Neema mustered all of her strength despite the traumatizing experience that she had and ran for the back door. She fumbled her way on all the furniture that laid across the Victorian ground, tripping on her own steps. She stood up on her own and continued her way. She reached for kitchen door's knob and turned it clockwise and she made her way out of the Victorian house safely. She turned past the house's corner but something had bumped onto her up front. 

She closed her eyes in fear thinking that it was Winston. But a familiar voice made her jolt in glee. 

" Neema? Where are you headin' off to?" Thomas asked. He was wearing overalls like he had just got back from the farm. It was a relief for Neema to know this and to have seen Thomas first. 

" You...He is coming for you, my child."

" Who's comin now?" 

" We have no time. Listen, I know that you and the madame have been seeing each other for quite a long time. And believe me, child; I have tried to stop the two of you to save you in harm's way." She was panting, Thomas could see this. And it didn't take a moment for him to realize that this was real and what Neema was saying was all true. He could see fear  in her eyes. 

" You have to get away from here. Far far away from here, my child." she pleaded. They both jolted when they heard the echoing sound of a shotgun being fired in the distance. They didn't have much time to lose. Neema turned quickly to Thomas. 

" GO!" she cried out.

" But Josephine-"

" Go!"  she cried out as she pushed him with her last remaining strength. Thomas lost his balance for a while but found his footing on the graveled back yard. He looked at Neema, who was getting pale at the moment. She gave him a smile as she continued, "  I'll take care of her."

Thomas bowed his head in respect. His expression was a combination of hesitation and confusion. He wasn't given any time to absorb all of it. He took one step and then another. 

And then another.

He darted forward to who knows where, leaving his lover and everything he had held close to him, behind.