Chapter 13

The sweet aroma reached my nostrils, breaking my dream about a certain someone into tiny little pieces

The sweet aroma reached my nostrils, breaking my dream about a certain someone into tiny little pieces. I groaned in frustration as I hate it when I don’t sleep well.

Sunlight directly hit my iris when I tried opening my eyes. Few drops of tears started trickling down my cheeks because of the harsh light.

“Why are you crying Zearo? What happened? Bad dream? Or did I wake you up?” I heard Oldie’s worried voice throwing endless questions my way. 

“Ugh, no Oldie, I’m fine. Just that I’m not a morning person.” I opened my eyes again, this time shielding it from the daylight.

“Ohhh,“ he responded, and then I saw him standing near the door, wearing my t-shirt and trouser holding a plate full of meal.

“Food? For me?” my mouth watered instantly and belly growled.

“Yeah, I hope you will like it.”

“What the hell? You know I love the food you cook! Come come, sit here,” I patted at the space on my bed.

“You’ve been constantly helping me. This is the least I could do,” he answered and wobbled towards me.

“Oldie, are you hurt somewhere? Why are you wobbling?” I asked, concerned.

“No, just some cramps. Old age side-effects.” he shrugged as if it’s not a big deal.

“Okay, eat the meal first. You have slept little. You look awful” he stated scrunching his nose, wrinkles deepening into his skin.

“That’s because certain someone was behaving like a baby,” I told, poking his tummy that showed like he was five months pregnant.

“Shut it!” He exclaimed squatting my hands away from his pregnant belly and I noticed his wrinkled and flush face making him look delightful.

“Okay okay, let’s have brunch together. Your baby might be hungry” I said, jabbing his stomach again and busted out laughing when he glared at me.

****

“Okay so as much as I could find out, the company heads who sanctioned your last work immensely liked your outputs. Right?” I inquired, scurrying through the appreciation certificates he received. 

After having brunch together, Oldie brought me to the warehouse where he operates all his garments related business. I’ve been rummaging through all his documents but couldn’t find any drawbacks that led the SAMS company to reject his bidding this time.

“Yes, I’ve met the products head.. Her name is Natalie, I guess. But this time someone else accepted my biding reports. I remember his name, Johnson, yeah, but I didn’t admire that guy at all.” his tone carrying a hint of disappointment. 

“Why do you say so? Old man, tell me what transpired.” 

“He-he you know, I didn’t like his vibes. I dont know if its just me or he is the way he is. But I didn’t like his attitude.” He answered looking at my eyes and waving his hands in the air to express how he felt.