Chapter 71

My palms were sweating profoundly, and I felt my blood pumping in my ears

My palms were sweating profoundly, and I felt my blood pumping in my ears. I could feel her heart beating crazily when I engulfed her in a tight hug. I didn’t expect myself to express my feelings to her. Not like this. I couldn’t look into her eyes, worried that she’d push me away. 

“I don’t know when I started liking you, but I do,” I whispered as my body trembled. My whole life, I never said such things to anyone. And here I was, letting myself be vulnerable in front of her. I expected some reaction from her, but there was dead silence in the room. Only our heartbeat was the only thing assuring me she was with me.

I felt a push on my chest and I slowly parted away from her, missing her warmth and the lavender smell that I’d been missing for days. 

“Aria has booked our tickets. We will have to fly to Columbia tomorrow.” Her sudden change in the topic made me sad, but I held it back. Her face was stern and I couldn’t get what was inside her little brain. Perhaps she didn’t like me and that was completely acceptable, for I’ve never practically been good to her. 

“Okay,” I said and even if my heart ached for her to respond, I turned away from her, disappointed with the sudden change in her attitude after everything I said. 

“Zearo.” I heard my name rolling down her mouth, making me halt my steps. She looked at the night sky through the window as I turned around. I waited for her to say something and after a while, she did. 

“You are not alone in this fight. I will stand next to you for as long as we are together.” She smiled. Her smile was genuine and maybe, perhaps, she smiled at me for the first time. 

I hummed in response and she continued, “Hiding is never a solution and, as I promised, you will meet your mother in the coming week.” My breath stopped as I looked at her in surprise. There were so many questions about how she could be so confident, but then I realized she was Liara D’Waner. She could do anything if she wanted to and has proved that to me every single time. 

“I don’t know how to thank you,” I said, looking at my palms as I was hoping to be of her help, but I didn’t know how to.

“Just be there with my family when they need you.” She whispered, and I sighed. It was never about her. Her family was all she could ever think of, making me angry. 

“Liara, you have a life. Think about that too! Tell me what makes you happy and I would be more than delighted to do that for you. You are overworking and always stressed. Please let me be with you and share your burden.” I walked toward her and she shook her head.

“I can manage. You have your problems to deal with. Don’t worry about me. I’m fine.” She said and smiled at me yet again, making my heart beat faster. 

“Damn woman.” I cursed and stroked my hand through my hair, frustrated, and I heard her laugh. She was laughing, and that wasn’t fake, but her eyes sparkled in the moonlit night. I was aww how beautiful and pure she was.