Chapter 44

Constantly lying as a dead fish felt worse day by day

Constantly lying as a dead fish felt worse day by day. Dima called thrice a day to check on me and so Did Mia. Her fiance knew about my condition and their moving to LA preparation was a tremendous help. Emma somehow got the news out of Aria after following her to Charles’s house. 

She cried for two hours straight even after I urged her not to. From that day onwards, she met me whenever she could take time out from her work. Dr. John came occasionally to change the dressing and after a week, I felt much better than the corpse feeling I felt after the day of that accident.

My legs felt numb after I tried settling them on the floor. This was a regular problem now that I tried walking for some time. 

“How many times do I need to tell you to stop walking?” Anthony, as always, caught me when I was trying to walk. Slowly, he helped me climb onto the bed. “And how many times do I need to tell you, you look like shit?” I glared at him. I was sick, but my people looked sicker than me.

“I’m fine.”

“Oh, of course, you are!” I commented sarcastically as he handed me the pills. My IVs were long gone, and I was relieved when I could move my hands easily. 

“You can’t keep your injury hidden for long.” He commented, and I was quiet. I understood he was right as Mia, Dima, and Olivia were restless, worrying about me even when they did not know about my accident.

“Did Charles say something about the progress of finding the guys?” I inquired. As much as I wanted to punish the culprits, I somehow felt that they were attached to Zearo. The way he was constantly avoiding me for a week now, I couldn’t help but wonder what he was trying to hide.

“Still couldn’t find them. You couldn’t describe their features as they hid them behind a black mask. He said it worsened the situation.” He looked at the window out of the room towards the sky and so did I.

“I want you to help Aria with the meeting with the Andersons. They shouldn’t have any inkling about the incident.” I whispered when I remembered Andersons were being a pain in the ass as we kept on delaying the meeting. Jonathan Anderson barged into my office one day, as I was not available for the meeting. 

“Ugh, that Suzanne Anderson is so much trouble.” He muttered, cursing under his breath.

“I know, I know. It’s just for today. I’m sure I'll be alright for the next meeting.” His hatred for Suzanne grew day by day as she was being so rude to them.

“Be careful as no one’s around to take care of you at the moment,” he explained, and I glared at him. 

“It’s not the first time that I’m alone in this strange house!” 

“Charles had a few cops barricading out of the building, but today that’s unavailable as well.” He explained. Charles had been overly protective these past days. Maybe because he wanted to hide what his boss did.