Chapter 58

"As if I've never walked into a wolf's den before

"As if I've never walked into a wolf's den before." I smiled at him faintly. I didn't know why he was bothered if I met anyone. Or perhaps he was worried I'd do something that would probably not be good for him.

"Luchellies are dangerous, Liara." He said, gritting his teeth and I chuckled.

"As if you are any less." I taunted. Watching from my cabin as he pushed the crowd aside to find Julie, one thing was for sure she meant more to him. I wondered why he bothered to act as if he cared for me, too.

"I'm not what I used to be. And it's not about me, to begin with. It's about you giving your hands to a hungry lion." He answered, throwing his hands frustrated. I raised my eyebrows at him and clicked my tongue.

"Too late as I've already held my hand up for the lion to take," I said air quoting it.

"Your family, your friends, they all will be at risk. You don't know what he is capable of." He explained as if I was a kid and knew nothing about the world I was already fighting to survive in.

"Why did you come here?" I asked, changing the subject. Arguing with him was a waste of my time, as I had a lot to take care of before meeting him.

"About Shimmers. What have you thought about their illegal business?" He asked. His audacity to barge into my cabin and inquire about my plans so he could rescue Julie.

"Why bother knowing about the details?" I asked, walking away from him towards my seat, finding the topic too boring to even discuss.

"Mr. Charles, please have a seat," I said, directing Charles to take a seat. But neither of them moved an inch. I sighed as Charles looked at Zearo for permission, making me frustrated.

"I have a busy schedule and have lots of things to do. If you are done with your dramas, leave me alone." I said, holding my pen tighter. The handle pierced my skin, and I winced. My habit of holding the pen tighter to control my anger has been a constant struggle these days.

"Stop piercing your already injured hands." Zearo rushed towards me and fumbled with the drawers, perhaps to find the first aid box.

"I can take care of myself," I said, swatting his hands away from me, but his stubborn ass held my chair, not allowing me to move, and pulled my injured hand to apply ointment.

"You behave like a teen getting jealous of her boyfriend giving attention to another girl." He whispered into my ears and I glared at him.

"You can only dream about such horrible things." I shook my head, unable to believe he thought I had feelings for him.

"Why did you ask me to meet you?" Charles suddenly interrupted us and I glared at Zearo, as he was constantly wasting my time. As he applied ointment to my injury, I held a file in my left hand and handed that to Charles.

"My ticket to freedom. Hand this over to the Chief as it's a top priority and holds really important matters." I said, watching Charles as his expression turned sour every second. To clear the misunderstanding that I was using him as a postman, I raised my finger, stopping him to argue back, and continued, "Chief asked me to give this file to you as he believed you as the most reliable staff he had. I hope you understand the importance now." I asked, hunching a little forward and relaxing my hands on the desk.