Chapter 23

A sharp pain gutted my senses, and I staggered a few feet forwards but captured the guy who wounded me by hand and punched him on his abdomen

A sharp pain gutted my senses, and I staggered a few feet forwards but captured the guy who wounded me by hand and punched him on his abdomen. Unable to unfold my eyes and being knocked on the head, I could merely hear a bell jingling in my brain that broke a sweat on my body. 

“Master, you alright?” I felt a pull by Charles, whose voice was further on the dulled side.

“I’m okay!” I wheezed and coughed a little because of the intense pain and tasted metallic liquid in my mouth. I wiped the unpleasant metallic taste from my mouth and gagged when few remnants entered my windpipe.

“Jesus! Sorry, Zearo! I did not know it’s you!“ I heard a familiar voice. Opening my eyelids gently, unable to get a clear look in the dark, I took a step forward and saw Anthony standing, clutching his stomach and blood dripping down his mouth. 

“Damn you, Anthony! You would have killed me!” I said wheezing all over again when the pain in my head intensified. Drake came in the middle shushing both of us and pointed at the black-hooded man in the front. 

“I’m sorry, I thought you were one of them. Couldn’t recognize you in the darkness.” He apologized again.

“Eh, you guys know each other?” Drake raised a question, stopping our banter.

“He is Liara’s Bodyguard.” 

“Friend!” Anthony corrected, glaring at me.

“Whatever,” I said, not interested in any fight right now. We went in through a small crack area from the back of this dungeon type of building. Soon we entered a dark area. All the windows were closed and the lights of the entire building were off. If we study it closely, some zero power colourful bulbs were lit on every corner sufficient for the human eye to see the passageways but not the obstacles. I pushed three of them back and took tentative steps on the front, hunching down lightly and tiptoeing all along.

“Why are you here?” Anthony questioned. He threw a suspicious look at me.

“The same reason you are here,” I answered, not bothering to indulge in a fight.

“He is here because I asked him to. I’m Charles Chief in Command of Manhattan.” Charles introduced himself, and I was glad that he did.

“You! I recognise you, you were with that grey-eyed man this morning who triggered Liara on gunpoint!” Anthony charged towards Drake, but Charles stopped him midair.

“Enough!” I barked, unable to concentrate on the situation and their banter making it worse. Putting my pointed finger on my lips, I raised my eyebrows at Drake questioningly.

“I went to stop whatever they planned to do but I was late as Samira changed the plan at the last moment not informing me.” He answered me, shrugging his shoulders.

He is my family. You’ve done this to him so you have to take care of him. Sign it already!” I picked up someone’s agitated voice behind the closed doors next to where we stood.