Chapter 29

I froze for good minutes until I felt a tap on my shoulder

I froze for good minutes until I felt a tap on my shoulder. Charles looked at me worriedly and pointed at the enormous iron gate and a lock hanging on it. I cursed under my breath and rummaged through the two lifeless bodies on the floor for the key. When the key jingled, I quickly proceeded towards the door and unlocked it.

A gasp left my lips when I saw the scenario in front of me. "Zearo, we have to break her out. We tackled some people, but I don't think they will let us take her that easily." Charles whispered, breaking me out of my shocked state.

"Zearo? Is that you?" A faint voice came from inside the cellar, causing me to shiver. The agony in the tone was too extreme for me to bear. Of course, I have heard voices with grief in them and to some, I was the source, but this one appeared like a hammer on my heart.

Julie was sitting on a steely chair, her hands and legs tied in handcuffs. Her body dotted with prominent bruises that popped out when the only light in the cellar upon her head focused on her. The scene itself forced me to vomit.

"I thought you'd never come." Oh, baby, the anguish in her statement drove me to recoil.

"Shush! I'm here. I'm here now." I drew deep breathing and calmly moved past Charles, who stared at me. I took tentative steps towards Julie, who just gawked at me as if she had seen a ghost. Slowly, I attempted to touch her hand but kept my eyes on her, noticing if she'd retreat or not. But to my surprise, she sighed when I touched her hand as if she knew I came to protect her.

"Just... Just take me from here. They... they beat hard. It pains so much Zearo." Her tone was barely audible, making a clot in my throat.

"Charles, we can't stay here for long, but I want to know who did this to her." I deadpanned and gently undid the handcuffs, making her cringe, I could feel the strain myself.

"It's alright. Just a second, we will be out of here in no time." I whispered as gently as I could. When I freed her completely, I lifted her as she had a hard time even keep her legs down.

"Zearo, you get her to the cabin. I will clear the mess and join you as quickly as possible." He said and handed me the keys.

As if on cue, I heard footsteps. Charles and I shared a look, and he nodded at me. Marching out of the vault, I haltingly made my way out of the construction holding Julie who continued to whimper making my heartache.

"I'm here now, you are safe with me." I cooed at her. Suddenly, the building was covered with green hooded guys and I had to hide to let them pass me without notice.

Soon I barged out of the building and haltingly but carefully took Julie to the Cabin which I own here in Florida.

****†*****†******†******†******†*****

Three days, three days passed away, but Julie didn't come back to her senses. I've been constantly keeping a check on her after returning from that building. Charles sent doctors who took proper care of her wounds, but she was required to heal internally.