Chapter 65

Driving straight to the mansion, I kept looking at how stressed her face looked

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Driving straight to the mansion, I kept looking at how stressed her face looked. During these three days when she was in California, I couldn't get hold of her. Charles informed me that Shimmers wasn't being renovated. They just were looking for the proper way to shift the kids out.

Julie was acting weird, making me anxious about whether she was part of this crime. I was spending ample time with Dima and Lilly. Dima informed me that Lily was not waking up in the middle of the night any more and I felt relieved.

"You don't have any idea how worried I was when I couldn't get in touch with you and Anthony wouldn't let me," I whispered. Sometimes I wanted to talk to her, even though I knew we never had a friendly conversation.

"Why were you worried?" She asked groggily. I swear I had a mini heart attack, and the car stumbled upon a stone, making me jerk.

"You were awake?" I asked, surprised.

"You think I could sleep in the car by how you drive?" She asked, but looked at the road. I preferred to remain silent, and she went on checking her phone.

"Don't you have my number?" She inquired.

"I do," I said, remembering that I'd saved her number.

"You should have called me if you were so worried about me." She air quoted it, making it prominent that she exaggerated the word worried.

"I didn't want to disturb you and didn't know a proper time when you'd be free," I confessed.

"One in the morning." She said,

"Huh?" I looked at her, confused.

"You can check up on me at one in the morning if I'm somewhere out for work." She answered, and this could be the first time she spoke to me for more than a minute.

"Okay," I said. I was happy that we could move past fights and arguments.

"For what do I owe such a friendly behavior?" I asked.

"You've done a good job today." She said as she showed me the mail.

"I am driving." I reminded her by gesturing towards the steering.

"You helped Charles and the chief to move the kids to our warehouse." She said, I looked at her, not expecting that the message could reach this soon.

"How did you know?" I asked and took a swift turn towards the mansion.

"The Chief sent me a long email explaining how things went and how helpful my husband was." She said with a smile, bringing a smile to my face.

"Well, I just thought to lessen the loss that you've already suffered," I confessed. I was worried about how she was contemplating the losses she had to face because of that investment.

"That's what Oliver was talking about during the dinner." She whispered, and I hummed.

"What was Julie saying that I need to know something sooner?" This woman wasn't sleepy but listening to our conversation.