61

we were all talking to the doctor when justin and i noticed clay was awake.

"hey. how do you feel?" justin asked.

"they're gonna keep me here, aren't they?" clay asked, turning away from us.

"yeah. i was arguing about it with them. i was... i was yelling about it a minute ago." justin replied.

"so i guess... congrats. you are full-on the good son." clay told justin.

"dude, come... come on, man. i'm sorry. i'm sorry that... that kylie and i haven't been there to help you. i'm sorry that shit's so wrong." justin said to him.

"i'm not crazy. i'm just scared." he said to us.

"i know, clay. we are too." i said.

"do you, uh, want us to stay with you today?" justin asked.

"no. i'm kind of... embarrassed." clay replied. just then, matt and lanie walked in.

"good morning, sunshine." matt said.

"dad, we talked about 'sunshine.'"

"see, classic clay. he's fine." justin spoke up.

"the doctors would feel more comfortable if they kept an eye on you for just a little while longer. okay?" lanie said to him.

"'okay,' as in i get a vote?" clay asked.

"we'll get you out of here as soon as we can." matt said to him.

i got to school and saw diego standing at my locker.

"what do you want?" i asked him, opening my locker.

"where were you this morning?" diego asked me.

"i had a family thing." i replied, closing it and walking down the hallway with him.

"what kind of family thing?" he asked.

"unfortunately for you, that's private." i replied.

"does it have to do with jensen and his crazy ass outburst?" he asked.

"oh for fuck's sake, diego, leave him alone." i told him.

"y'know, winston told me what zach said the day of the school shooting." he said, stopping me.

"what'd he say?" i asked him.

"he said that he beat the shit out of bryce the night he died." diego said. "so maybe you are hiding something and you're not telling me." he said, smiling.

"well maybe you shouldn't talk to other people about my friends or shit you know nothing about." i replied.

"what the hell is wrong with you? why have you been acting so fucking weird and distant?" he asked me.

"diego, i don't have time for this." i told him, walking away. "i have to be somewhere." i said to him.

i met up with justin in an empty classroom and we began making out until i looked at my watch and

"justin, i really gotta go."

he kissed me once again.

"how do you think clay is?" i asked him.

"he's not okay." justin replied, shaking his head.

"nothing is. zach told winston that he beat up bryce." i said, sitting on the table.

"fuck! uh... what?" justin asked.

"winston told diego." i replied.

"so you're... you're still seeing diego?" he asked me.