35

"finally, as your outgoing student body president, it is my distinct honor to announce next year's president elect, michael gamboa." she said. i was a bit sad, but it didn't matter. i had other things that i needed to focus on. i walked up to another group of girls.

"fuck that. i can't believe you didn't win." someone said.

"honestly. you deserve more than that." another one said. i smiled. i noticed justin in the doorway.

"i'll talk to you guys later." i said, walking to justin.

"sorry about the loss." he told me.

"i'll survive." i said.

"how've you been? it's been a couple weeks." justin said.

"yeah. it has." i said to him. "just hit 8 weeks." i told him.

"how do you feel?" he asked.

"people are starting to talk but it's whatever because i'm not really bothered by it. i've moved on." i said. he put his hand on my arm.

"i'm sorry about everything." he told me, pulling me into a hug. i pushed him away,

"i can't just take you back every time you say you're sorry, justin. that's not how this works." i said to him.

"how does it work then? because i don't want to be an absent father. i wanna be there for my child." he stated.

"you can be there for your child. it doesn't mean we have to be together." i said to him.

"but i don't want my kid to have a broken, fucked up family." he said.

"justin, i've already told you. please give me some time. you called me some pretty messed up things." i told him. "i don't take that lightly. not after monty."

"okay. i'll give you time. i'm sorry." he said, kissing my forehead.

i walked to my locker.

ani walked up to me.

"i have something to tell you." she told me.

"what's up?" i asked.

"i live at the chatham house." ani told me. "well, the guest house."

"in his guest house?" i asked.

"on his grandfather's property. he didn't live there when my mum took the job." she pointed out. "obviously i would've told you ages ago, but... i never made the connection until yesterday. we never talked about it." she told me.

"yeah, i know, i know. i just — i didn't tell you about it because with you i had the chance not to be the victim, i just could be strong."

"that's how you are. to me." she told me.

"does he ever try to talk to you?" i asked her.

"uh.. no, not really. i don't see him. i'm not allowed in the main house." she said. something was off about her answer.

"okay. but you have to be careful." i told her.

"i always am."

"promise me." i told her.

"i promise." she repeated.

i walked to class when i got a text from justin. it was a picture of him with one of the ultrasound pictures.

from: justin 💙
my favorite human being (you guys are tied for first). love you always.

i smiled and put my phone away. while our teacher was sleeping, i took it back out and checked social media and came across bryce's pages.