26

for the first time in a while, justin and i had talked about so many different things from our childhood. we talked about how we were as kids, what growing up was like, and i just couldn't have asked for a better night with him. we ended up falling asleep and woke up just in time for justin to get ready for his trial. we got up and walked downstairs for breakfast. we saw clay's mom sitting at the table with his dad. clay, justin, and i spoke at the same time.

"hey, mom."

"hey, mrs. jensen, mr. jensen."

"what the hell happened to you guys?" she asked. we all spoke at the same time again.

"sports." clay.

"fight." justin.

"tripped." me.

"mine, mine was a fight, clay's was sports, and kylie tripped." justin confirmed.

"i told dad yesterday. PE." clay said. we all sat at the table.

"if someone is hurting you, we need to know what's going on." she said, looking at all of us.

"wait, what are you doing here?" clay asked mrs. jensen.

"well, um, i want to apologize that, uh, an argument that was largely between your father and me had the impact it did on the family." she spoke. "and on you two." she said, looking at me and justin. "it wasn't fair."

"i feel like i came here and messed everything up, so-"

"justin, that's not what happened." she told him.

"you didn't." clay told him. his dad got up.

"so you just... you're back?" i asked. she nodded.

"i'm back." she said. "and i need to speak to justin privately after breakfast." she said, looking at justin. "i heard last night that you're going to testify today. and while i like dennis vasquez very much, he does not represent your interests. i want to make sure that you understand everything that's at stake for you before you testify."

"what do you mean? what's at stake?" clay asked.

"clay, i don't want us to have secrets, but if i'm going to help justin, that has to be between the two of us for now. if he chooses to tell you after we talk, that's up to him." she said. "can you trust me?"

"for now." clay said.

we ate our breakfast.

"now it's time for us to talk. clay and ky, you two can go upstairs and get ready now." mrs. jensen said. i looked at justin.

"i'll be upstairs in a bit." justin said, kissing me. i nodded.

"you okay, kylie?" clay asked me.

"yeah, yeah. everything is fine." i said, smiling. "i'm just going to jump into the shower." i said to him. he nodded.

after i showered, i walked back into my room, but not before i heard some of clay's conversation with justin.

"doing this sober is a lot harder than i thought it'd be." justin said.

"you're doing this for kylie." clay said.

"yeah. i know. everything i'm doing is for her." justin said. they continued their conversation and i walked into my room, did my hair, makeup, and put on the outfit i was going to wear today. (above) i walked out and saw justin waiting for me. i pulled him into a hug.

"i'm so proud of you." i told him. he smiled and we walked out.

"your parents said we could drive together and they'll be right behind us in on of the other priuses." justin said. he walked down the steps and i helped clay up. justin picked up a piece of paper from clays car. "jensen."