52

when we got home yesterday, cops came and immediately started ransacking the house. we told lanie and matt about it and they asked us what they took.

"they took all of our laptops." justin began.

"clay's backpack." i added, holding my baby.

"and my phone." clay added.

"and what, if anything, will they find on your phone?" lanie asked him, sitting down.

"a text to... to bryce." he admitted.

"saying?" lanie asked.

"saying... saying i wanna kill him. it was after homecoming and everything, and i came home, and i was sitting here and i was mad, that's all. it was just words. and... i deleted them, but..." he trailed off.

"i will... talk to dennis this morning and we will all sit down with him after school. and you talk to no one about those texts. or anything to do with the case. none of you." she said, looking at me and justin.

"clay, did bryce do something to you? did he... threaten you?" matt asked. "did he say something to you on the field that night?"

"no." clay responded.

"then why the text?" matt asked.

justin, clay, and i all looked at each other.

"i have a meeting with the school principal, so i'm going to put her down and head to school." i said, hugging lanie and matt and walking out the door. i walked into the principals office and sat down.

"after what happened at homecoming, you promised you'd tone it down." he told me.

"i don't remember making that promise." i said to him.

"i warned you to stop the funeral protests or you'd be held responsible." he said.

"so i guess i'll be held responsible." i told him.

"i spoke with the superintendent this morning and this is what we decided: were calling an assembly tomorrow. in addition to our students, the hillcrest football team and coaches will be in attendance, and you will make a public apology."

"i will?" i asked. "or?"

"or the logic's next step is to suspend you for inciting a riot. this is just in the best interest of the student body." principal bolan said.

"are you serious? everything i've done has been in the best interest of the student body."

"tell me, miss andrews, these stunts you pulled, do you think they worked? are the students better off because of them?"

"i do. everything i'm doing is to make sure that the things that happened to me at this school, don't happen to other girls or even my daughter, in the future." i told him. "i think people are talking about it."

"but beyond that, what? make the apology, move on. now is not the time in this town to be the nail sticking out of the board." principal bolan said. "now get to class." he told me.

after the meeting, i texted justin to meet me in our make out spot. once i heard a knock, i instantly opened it and began to pull him in.