45

a few days later, i was getting analeia dressed when alex came in and gave me a kiss.

"good morning, beautiful." he said, walking into my room.

"good morning." i said, kissing him.

i didn't know if i wanted to tell alex about me and justin because this was a relationship i was really looking forward to being in. something about alex was different. i didn't want to mess it up.

"go eat. i'll watch her." alex told me. i nodded, closed the door to my room and went downstairs, only to see lanie and matt setting up the table.

"what's... what's this?" i asked.

"justin is having his home visit today and we were hoping that we could have analeia for the day." lanie said, smiling.

"yeah, of course. right now she's with alex, but... damn, i forgot. i, uh, i can't be here when they do that because i am considered a runaway and i don't want you guys in trouble." i told them.

"okay, sweetie. that's fine. just clean up your room and head out to school." lanie told me. i nodded and walked away. when i did, i saw clay.

"they are particularly high strung today." clay said to me.

"yeah, because i need to make it seem like i don't live here." i replied.

"why?" he asked.

"because i ran away from my legal guardian's house when i was 13." i said to him.

"wait, i thought you told tony that they kicked you out." clay said to me, confused.

"i told him that so he wouldn't ask questions and i wouldn't have to talk about it. but i ran away and they've never come looking for me, but they filed a report when i was 15 but i ignored it because i started living with jeff." i admitted. "then i started living with you guys."

"well, does justin know about this?" clay whispered. "does alex?"

"guys, bryce was shot." justin said, coming down the stairs.

"what?" clay and i said at the same time.

"yeah. the evergreen county register reported it this morning." justin said, handing clay his phone.

"shot... with a gun." clay read.

"i know. it's fucked up, right?" justin asked.

"okay, neither of you say anything to them yet." clay told us.

"we won't." justin said, looking at me.

"i just have to, uh... make a call real quick." clay said, walking out.

"are you going to school?" justin asked me.

"yes, justin. you know my situation, you know i can't be here." i explained.

"are you fucking kidding me? you should at least want to support me." justin said to me.

"i do, justin. but i'm considered a runaway. so if i stay here, i'm putting lanie and matt in danger." i said to him.

"in danger of what?" he scoffed.

"getting arrested. once again, i am considered a runaway and they've let me live here for the past two years." i replied. "i can't believe how insensitive you're being right now."

"i'm being insensitive? this is the one fucking time that i need you and you're leaving to go to school." he said in a rude manner.

"i wanna graduate and go to college for our daughter, so excuse me, justin." i said to him.