43

MONDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 5, 2018

"good morning." i told justin, handing him the baby.

"what time is it?" he groaned.

"5:30 and it's your turn to get her ready because i did it yesterday." i said to him.

"yeah, kylie, she's only been alive for like two days, chill." justin said, grabbing her.

"i'll chill when i know you can be reliable again." i said to him, beginning to get ready. "i'm sure the clay is enjoying his time alone in the outhouse?" i asked.

"speaking of that, when am i going back to my room?" he asked. i stopped what i was doing and just looked at him.

"are you... did you really ask me that?" i asked him.

"yeah, i'm just curious because i need to know what clothes to get so i don't bug clay when i walk in there every morning." he replied.

"maybe the first month, justin, i don't know." i told him.

"okay. after work today, i'll get my clothes from the room and bring them over here." he said to me. i nodded and walked out. i walked downstairs to eat breakfast before getting ready.

"are you and justin together?" lanie asked me, on her computer.

"no, we're not." i replied.

"well at least the co-parenting is going well." she said to me.

"for right now." i said to her, smiling.

i ate my breakfast and began to get ready for school.

later that day, i was putting things in my locker when ani came up to me.

"kylie."

"if you're going to apologize about the homecoming game—"

"the police took clay." she said.

"what?" i asked.

"just now. i saw them up front." she told me.

"shit, why now? it's november. spring fling was in april." i said. "and why clay?"

i walked away from ani and walked to the library where zach was.

"do you mind?" i asked the other guys sitting there. they quickly got up and left. i sat down.

"what the hell do you want, ky?" he asked

"the cops took clay. they perp-walked him out of school. ani saw just now."

"shit. do you think they know about tyler?" he asked.

"do you think so? did you tell them?" i asked. he scoffed.

"are you fucking serious? no, of course i didn't tell them." he said.

"really? 'cause you've been pretty hostile to everyone lately." i said.

"no, i've been pretty hostile to you lately." he told me. "plus, this whole tyler thing happened eight months ago. why would i say anything now?" he asked.

"why else would they want clay?" i asked.

"how would i know?" zach asked.

"did something happen this weekend?" i asked. "what did you do after the homecoming game?" i asked again.

"not very damn much." he replied. the bell rang.

"zach." i said as he was getting up to hop away on his crutches.

"i have to go to history." he told me, getting up. i followed after him and saw alex.

"alex." i said. i walked up to him. "the cops were just here. they took clay."