53

do you guys have any idea where clay is?" lanie asked us.

"no. justin and i haven't seen him since last night." i replied.

"i came home and he wasn't here." justin said.

"and what time was that?" dennis asked.

"around midnight." justin replied. "when i woke up this morning, his bed was still made."

"we tried calling his phone, but then we remembered that the cops took it." i told them, shaking my leg.

"and he gave you guys no indication that he was intended to flee?" dennis asked.

"no warning at all." justin replied.

"can you blame him?" i asked. "the police just kicked down their door for christ's sake. he's fucking terrified." i said, not looking at anyone.

"justin, kylie, i know you guys and clay protect each other, but if there's something neither of you are telling us—"

"we don't know anything." justin spoke up. "i swear, i— he clearly didn't want me or kylie to know." justin finished, sadly looking down.

"okay, you guys can get going. kylie, i've got ana. go ahead." lanie told me.

justin and i both stood up and walked out, swinging our backpacks around our shoulders.

"i'll see you at school. i've gotta call zach and tell him what's going on." justin said, kissing me. "i'll see you at the assembly." he said to me, running off.

"alright. i'll see you." i told him.

when i got to school, the assembly was just about to start, so i walked into the gym and sat down next to another administrator and principal bolan. soon after, he stood up and the assembly began.

"welcome, everyone. and a very special welcome to our guests from hillcrest. we would like this to be a time to come together. the interruption of our homecoming game inflamed feelings on all sides. and it was followed a few days later by the news of the tragic death of a former liberty and recent hillcrest student, bryce walker. now, i've spoken at length with the main person responsible for inciting this riot, and hillcrest administrators. we agreed that it was time to bring our schools together for a day of accountability and healing. and with that in mind, kylie andrews, organizer of this protest, wild like to offer a few words." principal bolan introduced.

"thank you, principal bolan. you're absolutely right. at times like these, people need to be held accountable for their mistakes. and after something traumatic happens, it's important to focus on healing. but the thing is... how is anybody supposed to heal if all we do is cover up the wounds and hope that they'll go away? we have to look at them and recognize them for what they are. we have to be honest about who actually got hurt and how. the protest i led was an attempt to try to draw attention to the rape culture in boys sports and throughout our school. and yes, i admit, the way i went about it wasn't perfect. i'm sorry for how it all ended up. i really am. but making mistakes is part of being a survivor. at first you think you're like... permanently broken. but then, little by little, you start picking up the pieces and you start realizing that what you're making is a mirror and the more of those pieces that you put together, the more you start to see yourself. but maybe, we can start picking up those pieces of that mirror together, and we can finally see the truth. if you think sexual assault or physical abuse doesn't affect your life, you're wrong. there are survivors all around us. people you care about... who you never knew were suffering in silence. let them know that you're there to listen. it's time for you to know the survivors in your life. to hear their stories and to know that their voice matters." i said, taking my hands off the potium. "when i was 12, up to when i turned 16, i was in an abusive relationship. when i was 14, i was raped, and again when i was 17." i confessed. "my name is kylie andrews, and i'm a survivor." i said, causing the murmurs to begin.