32

the next morning, i got up and showered to get ready for the day. i walked downstairs, only to be met by clay's mom.

"justin, kylie, there's a neonatal appointment that i'm going to be taking you to." she told us.

"what time?" i asked.

"4. just come home and be ready." she said. justin nodded and looked at me with a smile.

clay came downstairs. his mom immediately started talking about what happened at the spring fling.

"yeah, it was a whole thing." clay said.

"at least you're all safe." she told us. clay's dad served the breakfast.

"it sounds like it was an overreaction." he said. clay, justin, and i all looked at each other.

"okay, so here you go, justin. so, the social worker visits a few times, they process the paperwork, then they'll schedule the custody hearing once everything's been filed and they've confirmed that they can't contact your mother." she said.

"okay, got it." justin said.

"what happens if they get a hold of her?" i asked.

"well that's when it becomes a custody battle between us and miss foley." she said to us.

"hey, i think we should clear out the workshop." clay's dad said.

"for justin? so we bring him into the house, then send him into a different building?" clay's mom said.

"for justin and kylie. they're going to be parents at the end of this year. they need space." he said.

"apparently, they don't need their space because they share that guest bedroom together and do god knows what." she said, looking at us. "next time, make sure everyone's asleep." she said, giving us the 'mother eye'.

"oh god. you heard us?" i whispered to her.

"yeah. every single sound in this house can be heard anywhere." she said.

"i'm so sorry, mrs. jensen." justin told her.

"don't let it happen again." she told us. we nodded and we took off for school.

we walked into the school and i was holding justin's hand. we passed by monty and the football guys.

"hey, tyler. what's up?" monty asked tyler. i looked back at him. tyler began having a panic attack.

"fuck that guy. he's not gonna hurt you." i said to him.

"no one's gonna push you around anymore." tony told him.

"i can't." tyler said.

"okay, tyler, i need you to listen to me, okay? focus on your breathing. breathe as deep as you can." i told him, using a technique that jeff's mom used to use for me.

"look, you have first with alex, right? stick with alex, he'll walk you to second. me, kylie, and justin will meet you at lunch." clay said.

he nodded and walked away.

"something happened to him. he's-he's not right." i said to the guys.

"you think monty-"

"well, monty, bryce, jamie garrison, the kid gets it from fucking everywhere. there's no way this is gonna work." justin said to us.

"it has to." clay said.

"are you guys sure you got all his guns?" tony asked.

"i hope so." clay replied.