64

a week later, we were all sitting with the doctor waiting to hear what she had to say.

"justin has given me permission to discuss his treatment and diagnosis with you." the doctor began. "i'm afraid i have some difficult news to share. justin has tested positive for HIV-1. and based on his symptoms, we believe... it has progressed to AIDS." she informed us.

"oh my god." i said, shaking, tears coming down my face.

"how... how is that possible?" matt asked. "he had the flu. he's been tired."

"well, HIV has a long period of latency after infection, which means that justin may not have shown any symptoms for a long time. with his IV drug use and extended periods of homelessness, this would have made him more susceptible to rapid progression. and according to his records, he was never tested." the doctor replied.

"how was he never tested?" lanie asked. "we got him the best GP. he had a complete physical."

"testing requires patient consent. it's not uncommon for a young man with a history of IV drug use and sex work to avoid testing." the doctor replied.

"i'm sorry, sex work?" clay asked.

"justin never spoke to you about the time he spent homeless?" she asked clay.

"he didn't tell anyone but me." i said, still crying. clay grabbed my hand and held it.

"the pneumocystis pneumonia has an indolent presentation, which means that the symptoms develop slowly over some weeks, and there was the late diagnosis. there is also a neurological infection. a fungal meningitis that has not advanced quite so far, but is pervasive."

"he's... he's my husband. we have a daughter and i'm pregnant." i told her.

"you and your daughter will have to get tested—"

"no, only me. my daughter isn't biologically his. but this baby is, so only i need to get tested." i interrupted. "i haven't been tested since i got pregnant."

"kylie, what're you talking about?" lanie asked me.

"analeia doesn't have to get tested? whose baby is she?" matt asked. clay looked at me, knowing the answer.

"i'll talk about that later, but i want justin to think i'm healthy. i don't want him to worry about if he infected me or not. so if he asks, tell him i said i'm fine." i replied. "is everyone clear?"

clay, matt, and lanie nodded.

the day after the doctor briefed us on what was going on with justin, i was in justin's room, hanging out with him.

just then, clay walked in.

"hey." justin said, smiling

"how is... how is it today?" clay asked.

"uh, it's like yesterday. just a little worse." justin replied, chuckling.

"uh, so there's, like, a lineup of people who'd like to see you, but i understand if you don't wanna see them." clay began, causing me to look at justin and shrug. "and i've organized a list and given time limits, and—" he continued, causing us to chuckle.

"of course you have." justin said, smiling. "yeah, okay. bring it on." he replied to clay.

"i'll send in the first appointment." i said, getting up and kissing his forehead. i walked out and pulled alex and charlie from the waiting room.

"hey." alex said to me, smiling.

"hey." i said, hugging him.

"how are you?" he asked.