44

i woke up in the morning due to analeia's crying, which i wasn't bugged by because i smelled waffles coming from downstairs. 

"alex, wake up." i said to him.

"huh?" he asked.

"matt made waffles." i said to him.

"okay, i'm gonna shower. i brought two pairs of clothes so you can take a shirt and sweats if you want to." he said to me.

"you're the best." i said, kissing him. he smiled and walked into my shower. i changed my daughter, i walked downstairs and ate some waffles.

"these are so good, matt." i said to him.

"thanks, ky. how's analeia this morning?" he asked. "and where did alex go?"

"she's good. she had trouble sleeping last night, but alex helped her go back to sleep." i told him.

"we heard yelling last night. is everything okay?" lanie asked, coming into the kitchen. justin walked in right after her.

"what happened?" justin asked.

"oh, nothing. i just heard yelling coming from the outhouse last night and wondered if everything was okay." she said to us.

"yeah, everything's fine." justin replied. "let me hold my big girl." justin said, softly grabbing the baby out of my hands.

"guys, could you go wake up clay?" matt asked.

"sure." justin and i replied. we grabbed a plate for him and walked into the outhouse. justin handed the baby back to me.

"yo, jensen, wake up, your dad made waffles." justin told him, putting his plate down. i sat at the table with my daughter, watching clay attempt to get up.

"what'd we say about dirty dishes, justin. you have lasagna over there from like four nights ago. you're not dr. fleming discovering penicillin." clay told him, groggily. i stifled a laugh.

"dude, no one ever understands your jokes." justin said to him. clay checked his phone.

"oh, shit. i'm late. i've gotta go get ani." clay said, getting up.

"are you allowed to do that?" i asked him.

"we have this thing for robotics. and i wait at the bottom of the hill." clay replied. justin took off his shirt and saw the scratch marks from the day before analeia was born. i covered my mouth. clay pointed to it.

"oh, you know, homecoming, the fight, and everything." justin replied.

"weren't you wearing pads?" clay asked, making his bed.

"yeah, but, um, football, you know?" justin said. they turned around to face each other and clay gave him an odd look. then he looked at me.

"are you sure that you didn't do that?" clay asked me.

"we haven't slept together in months, clay, come on. we're not together. and hey, aren't you going to be late?" i asked.

"yeah, jensen. no shower today?" justin asked.

"they didn't build us a shower on purpose. so we'd have to go in there everyday." clay told him. i handed him a towel.

"can't forget this." i said to him.

"thanks." he said, looking at me, then justin. clay left and i continued to play with analeia.

"can we talk about last night?" he asked.

"uh, no. i'm okay." i said, walking out.

we heard zach honk his horn and justin walked out.

when alex and i finished getting ready for school and the baby was asleep, we drove to school. when we got there, i got a text from clay.