48

when the cops pulled us in, it was to talk about the night clay went over to bryce's with a gun. since i was in the video, i had to be brought in for questioning.

"where's my daughter?" i asked sheriff standall.

"with a social worker. she will be okay." he reassured.

"what did you want to talk about?" i asked, crossing my arms. he turned the computer toward me and showed me video of the night that i explained earlier.

"what happened that night?" he asked.

"justin got a scary voicemail from clay, so we went over and saw that, and i was afraid he was going to hurt both of us, but justin told me to go back to the car and he talked him down." i explained.

"why were you afraid of him?" he asked me.

"i'm not afraid of him now if that's what you're getting at." i replied.

"no, i'm simply wondering why you were afraid of him." he reiterated.

"he'd been acting irrational all day, but i didn't think anything of it. i got knocked out during the fight that happened at school that day so i was out for six hours and when i woke up, my boyfriend, sorry, ex-boyfriend and i watched netflix until clay called justin and left him a message. so as soon as we got there, there he was, holding the gun, acting even more irrational." i said, shaking my leg nervously.

"do you know where the gun is now?" deputy standall asked.

"clay told me that justin threw it out in some dumpster somewhere." i replied. "i didn't ask about it."

"and can clay and justin verify this?" he asked.

"yes." i replied.

"where were you on the night bryce was killed?" he asked.

"the hospital, giving birth to my daughter. your son can vouch because he took me." i replied.

"yep, that sounds similar to his." he nodded.

soon after, lanie came bursting through the door, holding analeia.

"she is a minor. you're not allowed to bring her in here without an adult." she told him.

"i was just about to let her go, mrs. jensen." standall smiled.

when we got home, i put ana down to nap, then sat at the table.

"why didn't you tell us you got taken in by the sheriff's department?" lanie asked us.

"i didn't want you to worry." clay replied for us.

"well we're worried." she replied.

"clay... justin said you were brought in last week, too." matt told him.

"it was just random. they were talking to a lot of kids." clay said to his parents.

"so why would you agree to talk to them again without a lawyer when they clearly think you had something to do with this?" lanie asked.

"because i don't have anything to do with this." clay replied to his mom.

"we're getting you a lawyer." she said.

"clay didn't do anyth—" justin began speaking up before lanie shot him a look.

"okay, let's just—let's take a minute." matt said.

"he had a gun in his hand, matt." lanie told her husband.

"it was nothing." clay said to her.

"nothing? a gun is nothing?" she asked clay. "where did you get it? where is it now?" she asked. he was silent. "clay, what the fuck were you thinking?" she asked, angrily.