59

A COUPLE WEEKS AFTER THE SENIOR CAMPING TRIP...

justin, lanie, and i were sitting down waiting for matt to come back with clay and justin was playing with the baby. suddenly, matt and clay walked into the outhouse.

"i was just out for a run." clay said, putting his phone and headphones down.

"i found him out on navy pier this time. just standing there." matt told us.

"i lost track of time. that's all. i... how did you even find me anyway?" clay asked his mom.

"clay, last week you go out running, and you wind up in front of bryce's old house and now you're at the place where he got killed?" lanie asked him.

i didn't mean to go there. i just... i kept running, and i didn't hear my phone 'cause i was... i was thinking. i was thinking." clay replied.

"and kylie, did you go to the de la cruz house last week?" matt asked.

"w-what? how did you know?" i asked.

"it doesn't matter how we know. what we do know is that house is unsafe for you to be going to." lanie said. "none of you should not be out of this house past midnight." she told me. "so why were you at that house?"

i remained silent.

"well, um... we told you that we were going to be doing random drug testing on you guys while justin was still in the program, and... now seems like as good a time as any." lanie said to us.

"like, right now?" justin asked.

"yes, right now. is that a problem?" she asked.

"no. no, it's not a problem." justin replied.

"jesus, you're overreacting." clay told him.

"we just want to make sure you're being safe, okay? we want to know we can trust you. especially since there is a baby living in this house." matt told us.

"if you trusted us, you wouldn't be testing us in the first place." clay said to his parents.

"okay, clay, that's enough. you're up first." his mom said to him, grabbing the cup from his hand, causing him to walk into the bathroom.

soon, we all took our drug tests, but when the results came back, justin and i were clean, but clay, for some reason, had tested positive for marijuana.

"i mean, the test must be... expired or something." clay said.

"no. the tests are fine." matt said, his arms crossed.

"then he must have switched the samples." clay said to justin.

"are you serious right now? how would i have switched the samples?" justin asked.

"i don't know. i'm sure it's something you would know." clay shot at him.

"what does that even mean? do you seriously think i would ruin my living situation and my relationship with my daughter over weed?" he asked him. then he looked at clay's mom and dad. "guys, i have been going to all my meetings. i have been checking in with the counselors. i'm doing good." he told them.

"justin... did you go back to your old neighborhood last week?" matt asked.

"how did..." justin began, then looking at clay. "yeah, i might have." he replied.

"what were you doing there?" lanie asked.

"i wasn't buying drugs." he replied.

"okay. so why were you there?" matt asked.