40

"so how excited are you guys for the homecoming game?" ani asked.

"wait, that's still happening?" i asked.

"yeah, i'm pretty sure they're still letting the game happen." justin told me, sitting next to me at lunch.

"what? they can't do that." i said.

"why not? it's the homecoming game." clay said.

"i'll see you guys later." i said, kissing justin. i grabbed my things and stormed into principal bolan's office.

"principal bolan, you have to cancel the game. boys sports are the reason most girls don't feel safe here." i told him. "cancelling the game will send a message!"

"yes, i know your reasoning. my secratary transcribed 47 voicemails from your supporters and showed me the online petition you started. the fact is, homecoming is a tradition." he told me.

"you just ignored everything!" i told him.

"homecoming is a tradition, and is not itself a contributor to sexual assault. and if this game gets cancelled, i promise you, no one will take it the way you intend." he said to me, sitting down.

"that petition was signed by over a third of the student body." i informed him.

"and are all of them fully aware of your personal relationship with bryce walker?" he asked me. "and jessica davis's, or hannah baker's?"

"I don't-- what? i have never had a relationship with bryce walker! neither did jess, and neither did hannah. but this isn't even about bryce walker."

"what if i told you i received a phone call from his mother this morning inquiring about re-enrolling him for the spring semester?" he asked me.

"what?" i asked. "you're letting him come back?"

"we've only just received the request, but..."

"he raped me." i told him.

"and if he returns, we will take every measure to ensure your safety." principal bolan said to me.

"and the safety of every other girl at liberty?" i asked.

"it is our utmost concern." he replied.

"no it isn't. because if it was, you would have cancelled boys' sports years ago." i told him, walking out.

i walked back to where the girls were having their meeting.

"he ignored everything." i told them.

"such bullshit." one of the girls said to me.

"no more wasting our time. we need to do something huge." i said to them.

"yeah we do." casey said back.

"the homecoming game is in two days. we need to get in there and get our message out." i explained.

"you mean like posters at the game?" ani asked.

"fuck posters! bigger than that." i replied. "we need to show everyone that we are done being silent victims. that they're going to face our anger whether they want to or not." i said, excitedly.

"so, like, we'll be out there in front of all the football players?" tyler asked.

"in front of the whole wide world." i replied. they all cheered. "alright, meeting adjourned."

i got a text from justin when we all took off.

from: justin ❤️
meet me in the empty science classroom.